Forum home Fruit & veg

Figs in Pots & Mulberries

I have just bought my first Pot grown Fig Tree and want to plant it in a giant pot on a South facing wall. It is covered in fruit which I gather that I do not touch. A superb open bush at the moment and I have no idea what mix of soil I should put in new container. I believe it thrives in poor sandy soil - Do I add compost or John Innes or nothing?? It's a super speciman 'Rouge de Bordeaux' and I want to give it the best start. Also I would like to buy a Mulberry Tree - Are they worth it, or do they take years to fruit? I remember the fruit as a child and it is a secret ambition to grow my own.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,501

I've used John Innes No 3 for my potgrown fig. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 754

Did you mix it with garden soil or use it neat? Coming to UK next week, so would like to buy right thing.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    I grow my figs in New Horizon and they seem to do okay. I've found the best way to get ripe fruit is to take cuttings and grow them on in the greenhouse, allowing only one stem to develop. My outdoor fig produced a few fruits last year but they normally stay green. This site has all the advice you should need.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/figs
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,501

Just John Innes No 3 loam based compost - not multi-purpose  I added a bit of horticultural grit to make sure it drains freely.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh