Plant Identification help please

Can anyone help me identifying these two plants?

The first is incredibly invasive. It has white flowers in the spring (I think)

I treat it like a weed and am forever pulling/digging it up but it is a persistent little blighter. 

The seond plant has foxglove type leaves, but I am pretty sure it is not a foxglove. It has tiny blue flowers which are just coming out now. It too is invasive and pops up all over the garden.

Anyone with any ideas?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

The first one "looks like" bindweed-does it have a white root that snaps easily?

The second one "looks like" blue alkanet

But could be wrong on both counts

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,510

Are they invasive by seeding or root spreading or both?

I can't immediately identify either of these but the lower one has the look of one of the comphreys. It's something in the boraginaceae family I'm sure. 

Could easily be blue alkanet.

The leaves of the first one look too textured for bindweed to me. What does the underside of the leaf look like. I'm assuming the plant with it is one of the small sedums and I'm taking the scale from that. Is that as big as the leaves get?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

The first one-on a second look -it does seem the leaves are "thicker" than bindweed.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,877

Second one is Green alkanet which strangely enough has blue flowers.

And annoyingly I know what the top one is, but having a senior moment (AGAIN!) the name will not pop.

• Thanks so far. Green Alkanet looks like a positive ID. Looks like it is time to get digging and see if I can get rid of it for good.

The first is definitely not bindweed, although I am blessed with plenty of that as well.

It spreads through the roots which are quite deep and they do snap quite easily when pulled. The leave size does not get a great deal bigger than this. If left to its own devices it will create a dense blanket about a foot tall. I had masses of it in another part of the garden and had to resort to some pretty heafty weed killing to eradicate it.

Come on Berghill, you can do it!

Can you describe the white flowers RF. Are they flowering before the leaves appear or do they come out of a rosette of leaves 

• To be honest nutctlet I am not too sure. As far as I remember they come out on quite long stems from ground level. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:White_butterbur.jpg

Do they look anything like this?

It's white, invasive and makes a carpet of leaves about a foot tall

•   Weed for one, an herbal remedy for another!   I am very angry with myself, as I should know the name of the first one. Comes out early spring, as it was once used as an early cough remedy. That and carving out a suede I sem to remember doing over 30 years ago when the children were young! The second one is Borage. The leaves are rather prickly and rough, but the bees love it. Borage and Comfrey are very similar. Both excellent for the bees, and for adding to recycling bins. Comfrey you can make liquid compost from, but Monty Don says it stinks!