Forum home Talkback

fruit and veg

chicachica Posts: 252

hi all need some advice my local zoo has just given me huge bags of elephant and animal pooh two years old which i have delivered to my allotment at the moment just tipped it out do i just muc spread it around and leave it over winter or do i dig it in there is not much growing at the moment so the beds are nearly empty.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

As it should already be well-rotted down, I would stack the dung with a plastic sheet over it for the winter - this will stop the rain washing nutrients out. 

I would then rough dig the allotment and leave it for the wind, rain and frost to break up, then in February or as soon afterwards that you can get on the land without it sticking to your boots I'd spread the manure and turn the soil over.  If the weather is kind it will then soon be ready to rake down into a fine tilth for seed sowing and planting.

I'm assuming that all the pooh is from herbivores - you don't want any tiger pooh on your allotment.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

Don't forget to leave an area free from manure for growing your root veg as they will fork if they are grown in freshly manured soil.   Also onions are better grown on land that has been manured for the previous crop - time to work out your crop rotation. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh