Small path ideas?

Looking for some easy and inexpensive ideas to make a path up to a garden bench that goes through a small informal rose garden I'm am currently working on. Was considering a sort of stepping stone path but don't know what to put in between steps, don't want weeds, but equally don't want plants that will invade the rose patch, grass might be difficult to cut, after that ran out of ideas. image 

Picture below of work done so far, have actually planted some lavender and some spring bulbs alongside would be path now, hope it gives you some idea of what I am working with. Path will lead to a seating area at back of rose garden that will look back out across path and rest of garden.

Any help greatly appreciated, unfortunately working on a tight budget, but have until spring to save up as won't be much to see here until then. Thank you. image

The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

— Gertrude Jekyll

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    No picture has appeared but from your description I wonder if something like gravel or bark chips would suit around the stepping stones. Both only cost a few pounds for a bagful.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,713
    Creeping thyme is good around slabs, It doesn't grow very tall and tolerates being clipped and it has gorgeous pink flowers that attract insects. One plant will soon cover quite an area and as it roots readily where it creeps, you will have plenty of new plants. Smells nice too.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,644

A few years ago I made my daughter a garden in her tiny backyard. I made a path from small square stones that you can find easily here, some are cheaper than others. I dug the path out, edged it with wood (hidden), filled it with sand and placed the stones in it. Then I filled between them with earth and sowed grass, as that's what she wanted. If in a lawn the stones must be low enough to mow over. The little terrace in front has the stones placed very close together and sand washed brushed over it.

Dordogne and Norfolk

Sorry, here is the picture, some nice ideas, thank you. 

— Gertrude Jekyll
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

why not use some of the stone you dug up ,and edge with house bricksimage

• Thanks, I did think about using the stone but not many pieces are flat and some are only small. Also, have a plan for them in a rockery. Might be an idea if I can find some to buy that are nice and flat, would look nicer than concrete slabs.

— Gertrude Jekyll
  • When laying your stones aim for a look that mimics the distance making it appear further away.  To do this lay larger stones at the front and then graduating to small ones at the back.  This will have the effect of making your path seem longer.

In between you could opt for thyme but this will be woody when it gets old and not really a long term solution.

If you lay the stone set into the ground flush then sow grass seed over the top you can mow easily once a week.  Make sure the stones are perfectly level though and no sticky up  bits otherwise they will ruin the blade of your mower.

It;s the best time to sow grass seed now.  Turf will be too fiddly.  Once the grass is established, a couple of months, you can use an edging tool at your borders to make a nice neat edge. 

Who said gardening was easy.  Enjoy your garden and enjoy the exercise once a week.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,713
    Busy-Lizzie, I love your path. It looks so cute. Indeed the entire space is magical.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

Design is not really my thing but I think that's too straight and narrow to be a significant feature. It needs to entice you to see what's at the other endimage

• I can see what you mean Nutcutlet from that angle but really the path is just a means of getting to the bench (coming in spring) and the view is going to be from the bench, peering through the apple trees down to the main garden across the lawn to the other flower beds. And of course sitting there smelling the roses. I will try and get a picture so people can see what I mean, bit difficult at mo cos apple trees are sitting low heavy with fruit, well one is anyway! image

— Gertrude Jekyll