Forum home Plants

Hellebores

13»

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

I bought my plants from  Will McLewin ,found him a long time ago in the gardeners world magazine.

I read about him going all over the world collecting plants and seed for the university studies.he then sells off his spare plants  , and seeds.I wanted something that was an original and not plants that were cultivated 

I have some beautiful double flowers in an array of shades..l have also visited him at his garden , chosen my own plants and he has dug them up from his own stock.let him know what you want to spend and he will work with you.it isn't how everybody likes to build up  a collection but it suits me.

Pm me if you need details.

• Crocus was very good with me. J Parkersburg are good too

Plug plants are good they might just need abit of time to look their best and it's far cheeper
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,278

Nearly all mine are hayloft - they took 2 or 3 years to flower, and I bought some from GC's already in flower to add to them (and because i was impatient).  But now the plugs are much better plants than the ones bought full grown - i guess they have established themselves in situ, so no transplant shock.

• I don't know why but I always like the plants best I've sown from seed or had from a plug plant or a 9cm pot.
  • Due to money reasons, I bought some Crocus ones in the end (sorry nut and verdun image) but I got 2L pots and the plants were very healthy when they arrived. 

Still looking good, but although I planted them early october, I haven't had a single blooming' flower image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,378

There is time yet. The ones I bought last year from Ashwoods are in bud, lots of promis  of flowers to come.

• Really? That's lifted my spirits! Thanks image

One of mine has a dark cluster of new growth in the centre - can't tell if only leaves or some buds too yet...