Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Recommendations for a 9ft high living, thin, hedge near a house

Hi.

I'm trying to find a plant/hedge/tree that  can grow (or be bought) at 9ft tall, but be thin, but isn't a danger near a house.

Basically, an existing (about to fall down) 6ft fence isn't tall enough to stop us overlooking our neighbours shower room when we are in our ground floor kitchen, as we're on a hill above them, and there is a 3ft step in the land (and a retaining wall) and a 4ft difference on top of that.

I'm needing something "thin" (1ft) to keep access paths open.

I was thinking a living willow hedge, but being close to drains worries me, and not sure about planting willow hedge in a sunken trough.

Are there any other recommendations? It's in heavy clay soil, running north south, in full sun.

(Building a new fence greater than 6 ft means planning permission, which I don't want to go through)

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Wolfsbane, I think I'd replace the fence anyway - even if it's something quite simple like posts with  mesh on a horizontal plank top and bottom. You could then plant something like Pyracantha which is evergreen, grows fairly quickly and can be kept quite tight. The only downside is that it's prickly, so it depends how much room there is on your side and whether you need to use the space a lot. Most other evergreens are quite substantial and need a bit of room to look good, and deciduous ones won't be so effective as a permanent barrier.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I agree with Fairygirl - replace the fence and grow pyracantha up it - if you can still see your neighbour in the shower either you or he should get a window blind -  that's what we did image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Willow is the last thing I would plant near a house. I would also mention to your neighbour that you have a full, unavoidable view of the shower room! They may not be fully aware, or alternatively they may be exhibitionists!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Half of the opening post wasn't there when I posted so there was nothing about paths and willow!  The alternative would be do the fence and plant ivy  to grow on it. Not jaggy like Pyracantha but you will have to keep it pruned and the fence would need to be more substantial or it'll keel over under the eventual weight.

Oh - and get rid of those binoculars Wolfsbane.....imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

FGimage I agree, it is the neighbour's responsibility to provide themselves with a blind, is it a window in the roof of a bathroom?

Perhaps some trellis on top of the fence with a clematis/honeysuckle/Mermaid rose/ growing up it.image

• Personally, I'd go with artjak's suggestion and add trellis to the top of the fence and grow clematis and/or other climbers up it.  That would probably be the quickest 'fix'.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • If it will be in full sun, does that mean that anything you grow 9ft tall will be causing that much more extra shade to your neighbours than an existing or replacement fence?

A lot of bad feeling can be caused by depriving neighbours of sunlight just because you want a bit more privacy.

There's a good reason planning permission is needed for anything more than 6ft.

• Mention to the neighbour that you've spotted they use the same shampoo as you....

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

You're a lot more tactful than me Snoodle - I might mention other thingsimage