Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Iris bulb/corm

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Could anyone please tell me what kind of Iris this is from the bulb? It has purple flowers in spring but they have been in a tub for years and I was going to put them in the garden image

• My thought is that it's a Dutch iris http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1000648/dutch-iris-mixed/  - the sort that is popular with florists.  Is that what the bloom looks like?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

If it's early flowering - Feb/March - it's likely to be one of the reticulata/dwarf  types. They only get to about 8"/10" in height. There's lots of varieties though so it would be difficult to tell exactly which one - even when it's in flower. They're not terribly long lived usually but very pretty image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Or it could be one of  the smaller Iris reticulata https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/21176/Iris-reticulata/Details

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Thank you Dove that looks just the one image They have been in that tub for a long,long time so I'm assuming they'd be fine chucked in the border?

Fairygirl - they are taller than that,maybe 2ft? And they flower more kind of April/May image

Defo not one of those little ones image

Then it's likely to be the Dutch type as Dove describes. image

Thanks guys image

They're pretty too Fishy, but don't flower for long so best in amongst other perennials or annuals which will take over when they finish. image