Beware combustible compost

• Palaisglide in answer to your message:-

The compost was bought from a DIY store ( no names) own brand so may have had anything in it's contents.

This was a plastic 4 tier greenhouse not a proper one! All open so air circulating freely, no electrics, no aerosols, no fertilizer etc.

No-one can see into the garden from the road.and before anyone asks no it wasn't the neighbours that started the fire!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

It is not a case of shooting the messenger nor am I being harsh but you titled your discussion as "Beware Combustible Compost" -which in itself is alarmist -now you are saying it may not be that it was a just a suggestion-I am saying that I have never heard of this-now you say there have been other instances-perhaps you could link to these?

I have no wish to argue or fall out with anybody on this forum but you need to back up your warning with facts.

• Yes, the idea was to get attention to the discussion. perhaps someone will be able to give a scientific reason for this happening to compost?

I live in a semi rural area and we don't have a problem with arson here.

I will go away and reflect on the loss of my greenhouse by mysterious forces. as it is quite clear forum users think i am a liar or an alarmist. NO!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    honeysuckle2 wrote (see)

Yes, the idea was to get attention to the discussion. perhaps someone will be able to give a scientific reason for this happening to compost?

I live in a semi rural area and we don't have a problem with arson here.

I will go away and reflect on the loss of my greenhouse by mysterious forces. as it is quite clear forum users think i am a liar or an alarmist. NO!

Not at all-and that had not been suggested -but there are a lot of people who have these greenhouses and leave compost in them-you have stated that your's burnt down because of this-can you not see that that is alarmist-without evidence to  support it?

• I have given all the facts that i have in the previous posts, People can now make up their own minds about this. I do not need to be judged, especially by people who do not know me or i them.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Honeysuckle2, I for one am not judging you or calling you anything, what I am saying is that in all my years gardening and much of that with peat before the greens got at it I have never known compost self ignite.
    I have known Hay and Straw stacks self ignite because the hay-straw was not dried properly and it heated up from the centre. As none of these apply to your GH I am intrigued as to what would cause it.
    The sun was low it being nine in the morning is there some glass or reflecting ornament in the garden that would concentrate a beam onto the plastic which would then burn, some plastics do burn fast and furious once started, As a lad I worked at ICI plastics, we built a burner that burned plastic to recover the monomer and believe me it took no firing up, I thought it dangerous stuff back then.
    There must be some explanation and I would like to know the answer. Nothing like a mystery to get these pages moving.

Frank.

• I have now managed to calm down, hopefully this was a one in many million chances that this can happen. I have always been very careful about laeving anything combustible in the sun or near heat sources. My father was an industrial chemist, so analyzing possibilities of what happened is second nature to me. Even though the sun is low at that time of morning it would have been shining on the greenhouse for at least three hours before the fire started, nothing glass or reflecting into the greenhouse... perhaps i'm just unlucky.

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 474

So sorry honeysuckle2 to hear about your greenhouse. It doesn't matter how it started, how upsetting for you and loosing all your cuttings. I know what its like to have your greenhouse damaged, I had someone jump through mine and bend all the frame and broke the glass (they were running from the police) while we were away on holiday, I was so upset but my lovely husband managed to put it right. I hope you can replace your greenhouse soon. Good luckimage

• Sizeyuk1Sizeyuk1 Posts: 126

I had a compost bin which exploded, it was the  green drum type that you roll over and over to mix the grass, cuttings etc,  we heard a huge bang  and when we went outside it was blazing away and had completely exploded, the only thing I had done differently that in previous years was to put some charcoal on it after burning some wood and leaving it for a few days to go cold I added it to the compost. image