Forum home Tools and techniques

Solar powered pond pumps

2»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,638

Maybe your SS?

Hope you can sort plants out, they are number coded, just get back to me if you cant understand, its a womans logic!.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,241

SS Lyn? I really can't thank you enough for the plants...and with everything you're going through too.

ohhhhhh lol - I've just got it image

You are very welcome Fishy, mum didnt come home anyway!

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I have a Bermuda solar oxygenator.  One motor died pretty quickly but one has kept going and provides bubbles/oxygen when the sun shines.  There's supposed to be a backup battery but hard to keep it charged.  I've had some blanket-weed that I pull out but otherwise pretty clear water.   I put my plants right into horticultural grit/gravel and didn't use any compost.   I have a pretty small pond. (It's  a bathtub sunk in the ground but wildlife seems to like it.)

Could we see a photo of your bathtub pond.

I hadnt thought about potting plants in grit only, does anyone else do this?

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,241

I saw Monty Don and Rachel de Thame use just gravel I think it was Lyn. Maybe we shouldn't have used soil at all? image

• As I am in the midst of renovating/ lining a badly leaking concrete built pond I have decided to use gravel only to re pot all my water plants. 3 days of baling out silt from broken containers, etc. has persuaded me.  I've always used Aquatic compost before but in fact have discovered that if you have a good root system on the plants ( inevitably with some old soil, etc attached ), you can just gravel them.  The detritus which arrives even in a new pond should provide sufficient "gunge" for the roots to get into.  Not many are going to be doing much growing at this time of year so I think it is OK.  I have emptied a couple of bags of Aquatic compost in the deepest part of the pond and a little on the various shelves.  This gives a habitat for all the Dragonfly larvae, Beetles, etc which I rescued and will provide some medium for the plant roots by next Spring. 

I don't watch Monty or Rachel but I think I agree with them on thisimage

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I posted a picture before in a thread called Ponds.  It still looks like a bathtub and the water level always sinks to two inches below the rim but lots of exit ramps and so far nothing's gotten stuck in it.   I know it's not gorgeous but we have a small garden and it's more for my enjoyment/the wildlife than for ornamental purposes.  I planted some spring bulbs around it.  The watercress was started from a few pieces out of a supermarket bag and really took off.  The frogs and birds seemed to enjoy it over the summer and so did I.

• My pond also has a green slime on it. I've not seen it before on my 3yr old pond. I was thinking of getting a solar water feature/fall. Some also have night lights incorporated and come with a back up battdry. Mine is a wildlife pond maybe 2by1 MT. It would be a small device. I don't see many positive comments about solar pumps at all. I thought it might be quite nice and oxygenate my pond.