Forum home Fruit & veg

Wierd Aubergines

I am very confused.  I have been growing aubergines in my greenhouse for the last few years and they have been fine but this year instead of being aubergine shaped and shiny dark purple, they were dull, pale mauve and looked like cucumbers.  What on earth could have happened?

• I would imagine probably a duff or mis labelled packet of seeds.  Take some photos of the offending fruits and contact the seed supplier. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,870

There are loads of different varieties of aubergine.  Have a look here http://topfoodfacts.com/fact-of-the-day-aubergine/ scroll down and see just a few.

They all taste good and recipes are interchangeable. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• sjpsjp Posts: 19

The thing is they were from the same packet of seeds I used last year (and the year before) and those aubergines looked like the normal ones you find in the shops.  Could it be that the seeds are just too old?

How bizarre!  I just clicked on that website and they are exactly like the pale purple ones that are long and thin.  How can that happen from the same packet of seeds????

• My mistake........I had just assumed the OP was growing the same variety as previously grown.  But I agree ...........they would need to be really very bad before I could dismiss them as inedibleimage

• Oops.....posts crossed sjpimage

Either from a pack of mixed seeds, or somehow  something happened at the seed merchant's place and some seeds got into the wrong packet

or

did you go away for a holiday leaving someone else to water your plants .... if something untoward happened and they replaced the plants, thinking you'd never find out ...........???  (my children don't call me Miss Marple for nothing image)

One thing is certain, it won't be because the seeds are too old.  Enjoy your aubergines - lovely veg imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks everyone.  I did try them and they tasted ok.  I like the idea of someone swapping the plants image  Gardening is strange!!

• Aha..........The Return of Miss Marple..........  Devious thinking Doveimage