Forum home Garden design

Modern Gardens to visit in Yorkshire?

Hi there. I'm researching contemporary gardens to visit in Yorkshire next year with a group of garden tourists from italy. These visitors are more interested in the overall design  of the garden than the variety of plants/plantsmanship. We'll be doing all the 'usual' visits like Castle Howard, Scampston, York Gate, Parcevall Hall,YSP etc and I would really like to be able to show them some private contemporary gardens - large or small. the NGS site gives few photos so any recommendations would be welcome. thanks!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,138

I know you're saying Yorkshire, but your group might be interested in visiting Levens Hall in Cumbria - famous for it's topiary. It's just south of Kendal,  so just a bit farther north west.  Not a contemporary garden of course, but a stunning piece of geometry.

Can't beat Castle Howard. The house and all the grounds are magnificent, and used to perfection in the making of Brideshead Revisited. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Hi, have you considered contacting the Yorkshire Tourist  Information Centre? They may know of properties who 'open by appointment' in different areas of Yorkshire.