Forum home Tools and techniques

Aerating the lawn - fab old tool...

Hello - I found this wonderful old lawn aeration tool in an old tool shed sale.  I'm delighted with it as judging from the weight of the thing, it's built to last! Trouble is, it has these massive springs on it that are really difficult to compress. I've used the bottle of wine for scale! Now these springs are tough. So much so, that I can only manage to prick my lawn by an inch or so. Is that deep enough to aerate the lawN or do I need to get down to the gym? Thanks in advance.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,781

Please, please please post a video of it in actionimageimageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343

I was once given a similar contraption, it was green and had a footplate above the horizontal bar at the bottom - I was told you had to stand on it to get the prongs into the ground - shame I wasn't as heavy then as I am now image - it was jolly hard work - I didn't get custody of it - I wonder what the ex did with it image he certainly doesn't tend his lawn with it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,877

You need to stand on the bottom bar and use your weight to get the tines to go in as far as possible - at least 4 inches.  If you aren't heavy enough or the lawn is really dry and/or compacted, you could either wait until the lawn gets softer after a decent amount of rain or ask someone a bit heavier to help you out! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,877

Snap Dove and I agree, it is hard work! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Pansy - perhaps once I get the hang of it! For now, just imagine a pea on a giant fork!

thanks Dove and Bob. I think it might be a bit of both. I'll have another go after a bit of rain...and eat a few more pies!  Failing that, I'm going to put my favourite song on and have a dance in my high heels!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,592

You could always try fitting stronger springs and using it as a pogo stick all over the lawnimage

• Without a decently(safely) attached footplate you're on a hiding to nothing!! [You risk serious ankle damage without one!].Alternatively, try getting a heavier/ unsuspecting male to use it on your behalf after it's rained to soften the turf somewhat?