Forum home Garden design

Recently moved, new garden but no skills! Any suggestions....

I have no attachments to any of these plants. Don't know what most of them are but wanted to work on this border first. As you can seE its in the shade of laurel hedge so grass is mossy so I've started to extend the border a bit more. The hebe if it is a here that is is about a meter in diameter. Can I cut this back? Any suggestions On what else to do with this patch?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,467

If you like gardening then get rid of what you don't like and plant what you do like. If you don't like gardening then leave it, looks easy to maintain and not unpleasant.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • PS2 - moved from postage stamp garden to a decent size and learning pretty much from scratch. Retaining some lawn for croquet image and the veg patch I want to learn how to grow to eat. Other than that all borders are subject to change. like to collect seeds and grow stuff for free and like to have wildlife in garden. Possibly not helped you that much.

how do I shrink the hebe without cutting back to old wood? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,036

Just take it out Gfingers! 

Seriously - if you like it you can try some cuttings, but they'll take a while to get to a decent sized shrub. They don't take too kindly to being hacked back in one go - they're better regularly trimmed to keep them neat.  Alternatively, take it out and replace with another Hebe or something different like a Euonymous. They provide a bit of colour in the shade of the hedge and will cope with the conditions. Variegated foliage and evergreen, and will take a good haircut if it gets out of hand! 

As BL said - if you like the area there, you could just make some small changes and concentrate on developing other parts of the garden. If you want to make a wildlife area, that bit would be good place to have some suitable planting, but you may want feeders etc nearer the house. You could make the border bigger and have buddleias, sedums and other bee/butterfly attracting plants. Many annuals are good for that, so if you like growing from seed, you could have a lovely area there for them. 

I like the idea of a croquet lawn image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,783

I would extend the border out a bit to make way for more plants image but keep the Hebe  (no need to trim it as far as I can see) as an evergreen anchor for the planting. I would extend the border either side as shown so the Hebe still ends up at the front of the bed:

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,467

WillDB, that's what I would probably do too, but I didn't know how much work and border Gingerfingers wanted.

Dordogne and Norfolk