Forum home Talkback

Potato berry???

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hello, just inspecting my spuds and spotted this fruit growing on a stem. It's dark green and has a stalk attached.  Anyone know what it might be? Didn't know that potatoes produce fruits....it's green inside with seeds....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

Yes, it is a potato fruit.  Potatoes are closely related to tomatoes hence the similar looking fruit.  They are very poisonous so don't be tempted to eat one!

The seeds can be collected and grown - this is how new varieties are produced although it is a long process as plants grown from seeds will likely only produce one or two small tubers which would be replanted the next season.  Rinse, repeat and after several years you have enough tubers to grow a reasonable crop.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Bob! Fascinating stuff this gardening malarkey!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443

I agree with Bob - a clear and concise explanation - the fruiting body of the potato. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Actually. potatoes & tomatoes are members of the deadly nightshade family -  Solanaceae.

The poison in those potato seed fruits is  Solanine, this poison is also present in green potatoes which shouldn't be eaten either.  

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I was very unhappy to see earlier in the year, that a certain company (don't recall which one) was offering potato plants with a tomato grafted to the top.  Now, this is likely to work I suppose as they are indeed the same family -  but, how many folk may not realise this is grafted and assume the red berries or fruits of all potatoes are in fact edible?  Sometimes I think that breeders of plants are not very thoughtful - this looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.  Don't know if it actually took off  I must say, but dodgy I thought. 

• Good old t&m with the tomtato