Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardeners' Logic???

Since moving into our new house with lovely big garden last summer I've started seriously propagating for the first time  ( previous garden was v small so I didn't really bother as didn't want lots of repeatend plants). This year I've "created" from cuttings/division at least 5 penstemons, 3 fucshias, 8 sedums, 6 heucheras, 5 hebes, 5 rosemaries, 15 ajugas (need lots of ground cover!), and a couple of pelargoniums. I reckon they'd have cost me about £250 to buy as plants, so have told hubby I'm now deciding what to buy with the £250 I've created image  image. It's Gardeners' Logic, surely?

Hubby doesn't agree, however he also doesn't think much of my "shopping logic" which says that if something is reduced  from, say £40 to £10, I've spent £10 but saved £30, so I have "created" £10 which can be happily spent on something else image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    I think your logic is perfect

OH once complained about me taking advantage of some buy 2, get 3rd free on groceries - "trouble is we might be bankrupt before we get to reap the benefits of the third" .... a little harsh I felt image

But well done on the propagation - its thrilling when it works, isn't it image
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

My OH doesn't understand that logic either but, since I told him how expensive our compost heaps are after he'd done yet another blitz weeding of a border instead of just selecting the weeds, he does at least see the point of investing in decent compost and keeping the greenhouse in order.

My other recent trick is to make him come to plant fairs and pay for the plants so he'll think twice about the compost heap and I can buy more plants with the house-keeping thus saved when he isn't looking.   That means my shopping bag always has a bag of bulbs at the mo as I stock up on alliums and nectorascordums on display at the supermarket.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

All perfectly logical as far as I'm concerned.  It's the same as buying something this year instead of next - its only going to get more expensive if we wait.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

totally agree. Propagation is just magic when it works! Especially when you spot one of whatever it is you've propagated in the garden centre, and often your own tends to look healthier too.  I would love to see some pictures of your successful propagation thecatsmother. Love the name by the way!

Without wanting to burn my bra, I do find that women on the whole tend to be better when it comes to budgeting and financial logic. Especially these days when more and more women have higher salaries, and often work twice as hard to smash through glass ceilings. 

• chicky says:
    I think your logic is perfect

OH once complained about me taking advantage of some buy 2, get 3rd free on groceries - "trouble is we might be bankrupt before we get to reap the benefits of the third" .... a little harsh I felt image

But well done on the propagation - its thrilling when it works, isn't it imageSee original post

• It is true, every thing is so expensive now a days.Yes it is thrilling when it works.  THANKS.

• Yviestevie says:

All perfectly logical as far as I'm concerned.  It's the same as buying something this year instead of next - its only going to get more expensive if we wait.

See original post

Thats why it is called Gardeners Logic..It is all logical.

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

Try taking discrete cuttings from every perennial plant you have and see what happens. There are lot of plants from which you can just nibble away root cuttings .

i bought three of these Rhodanthemum from B & Q and found the stems are quite brittle and fall off easily. I have just planted these broken stems in spare pot with some hormone rooting powder to see what happens. So far so good .

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Yviestevie says:

See original post

YES, you are correct. Its all logical.

• CORRECT.