Forum home Talkback

Hollyhock

Hello everyone,this is my first of many questions(no doubt) I have just moved into a beautiful cottage with(just seen two squirrels playing around I just love it) a beautiful established garden which I must to maintain...so brace your selfs for many many questions!!! First I would like to know how to prune & cut back hollyhock?

• Help!!!!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi Novice6

Hollyhocks die back in winter, cut them to the groundimage

•  When should I do this as they still have some flowers? And when & how long for them to grow back so tall? Also I have one at the front of a bed and wondering if I could move this to the back? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,629

I'd cut them down when all the flowers have finished.  They'll grow back to the same height, or even taller, next spring/summer.

As the seed pods dry and begin to open you could save some to sow next spring - although you'll probably find lots of little self-sown ones popping up in the spring anyway.

As for the one you want to move, I think I'd move it just as it starts into growth in the spring.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thankyou Dovefromaboveimage