Hard pruning of roses

Is it safe to prune my roses quite hard now before winter?  they have grown vey tall this year and I am afraid they may suffer if we have high winds this year.  Most advice is not to prune until spring, so I am not sure what damage I may do giving them a good prune now.  Any advice gratefully received.  Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,657

If you're in a windy spot where roses can suffer from windrock I would take the top one third off in early November, and then prune properly at the end of February/beg of March, depending on the weather. 

Don't do the hard pruning now as it may stimulate gender new growth which would be damaged by frost.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ah lovely thank you - I do sometimes find the advice on pruning roses a bit confusing but that makes sense, 

'gender' new growth????????????  sorry, am typing with a splint on - I meant 'tender' image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,541

I do exactly as Dove says - a third off now, then a proper prune in Feb/march

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
    chicky wrote (see)

I do exactly as Dove says ...........

I wish everyone would - life would be so much simpler image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,541

imageimageimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Sorry Dove never did do as I was told so do it in a different way. Take the hedge trimmer to the top half straight across clean up the area and leave for spring. Prune as normal in spring as I have done for the last twenty years and always a good show, but then I grow them for me not for the local garden show.

A neighbour spends hours pruning titivating wrapping covering and generally wet nursing his roses to put three in a vase at the show and come second?? Why Bother I ask? He has belaboured my ears many times on the correct way of doing it so how come I have two lovely flushes of roses on most bushes every year and he does not?

The mind boggles, Frank.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Doves right again I have some new Gender growth on my massacred black spot old Red Alec h/t i cut it right back 3 weeks ago to get rid of the b/Spot as i couldn't stand the mess any longer but now iv new gender growth so dont do it again Alan ,so another to late lesson in the bank for me.In future i did Franks way,,get it image 

Chuckle image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

I have been itching to cut back my roses for weeks now despite the late bloomers - they have grown so tall and are so untidy. I will probably try to wait another couple of weeks and then prune fairly hard. I only ever prune them at the back end, never in spring, and they do ok. Even with the harsh winters in Scotland. Each to their own.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller