Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dahlia

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Leggi-when you say nothing since-is there no signs of buds at all/

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Leggi I do not know if this helps but my Arabian dahlias have been flowering for weeks but the Bishops planted next to them are only just producing a bud.image

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Nope, no sign of any buds coming up at all, not even little ones lurking in the foliage.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I think you are just going to have to live in hope-if they dried out at any time that would slow them down

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

That's what I think too Geoff, they've had regular watering, but I think I'll give them a feed and move them to the top of my coldframe. The extra warmth there might spring them in to life.

It's a shame because they're such lovely plants when in flower.

• christopher2.  Oh no I just literally dead headed and didn't cut back to new shoots.  I had 50 or so buds on my dahlia and only about 3 flowered the rest looked like spent flowers.  Oh yes slugs and snails lurking everywhere.  Thanks for this I will cut back to new shoots in future. 

• christopher 2.  Thanks for this advice.  I had a reply back from Craig Loan of Gardeners World and he has solved the problem.  Please see attached picture.  It's the earwigs after all.  Little devils.  Even when the flowers do try to emerge there are only a couple of petals on them.