Forum home Garden design

Helpppp! 24 x1 metre border- clay, shady and next to fence- lucky me!,

• TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Thanks Chicky- i did it!

must say my gardens geranium city- but a least its neater now- boring though

when the bamboo was running it looked like a jungle

sadly i have very little flair, am colourblind and a a bit "Roy Cropper" for those of you who watch corrie!

i have little taste but at least i know it!

From he fence post directly under the neighbours back door i have four fenc posts either side where i could put a standard- but would it look like a police 5 line up?

and would they be visible from my house- the borders that far away.

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    I would choose some shrubs, maybe evergreens or ones with flowers or autumn colour, and plant them along the fence. They will look a bit strange when you first put them in but will gradually settle in and grow to fill the space. Look for ones that can cope with clay soil and have a variety of seasons of interest so that you have different things to enjoy throughout the year. Also check their final height before you buy so you get ones that will not grow too big and need lots of pruning to keep them looking tidy.

Thanks Daryl For the idea . i saw a border idea on "borders on a roll" for shady clay soils- i was just gonna pinch the ideas

but it was sort of 4 tiered kind of thing for borders of 2m depth

Cos mine is 1m depth i thought it might look a bit puny- also saw one on homebase site , theres was 3 metres x 1m - mine is wider but same depth

i could nick there idea but not sure it looks good 

i will try n post pic to show you to see what you think thanks

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,050

You could put a line of standard roses along with your geraniums underneath. It will look very formal but so does your garden. The roses will give you some colour and height and help to distract from the fence. A border 3 feet deep does not give you too much scope for biggish shrubs. Perhaps even a couple of trees to help screen the neighbours house. Do you want to put some climbers on the fence? Pop in some spring bulbs as well. None of the above would involve lots of maintenance.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Oooh hogweed, i like the sound of that

would you put the trees in the middle of border to screen the neighbour?

-and do i put the standards in the middle of fence panels or against the posts?

am summixing that the bulbs go at the front of the border?

sorry theres so many questions!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,359

I would mix plenty of  grit and well rotted farm yard manure or compost into the soil before you start planting. If you cant get either of those, garden centres sell soil conditioner which I think is fine composted bark or chippings. You dont want coarse bark or chippings, but they are good as a surface mulch

While the border is empty is the best time for soil preparation.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,883

I would make that border deeper. 1m looks very stingy compared to the scale of the rest of the garden. 2m would be my minimum, 3m even better but of course that's more space to plant up. At the same time, break up the ground and incorporate organic matter (compost) and grit for drainage.

I wouldn't go for topiary - I think it might look strange against the fence - like an identity parade as you say! Topiary should be appreciated from all sides not just from the front in my opinion.

Into the (larger) border I would plant largish shrubs with an attractive form... something like Cornus alternifolia, Viburnum plicatum 'Mariessii' (yes these are fairly big, but you have a large garden and could do with the screening they would provide), plus some evergreens like Choisya ternata. I wouldn't go for a symmetrical layout, but would look for a balanced look centred on the path. For example you could balance the Viburnum on one side with a clump of three of the Choisya (which is a bit smaller) on the other. Basically just try to arrange the plants in an artistic but natural looking way ;P

You should underplant with perennials. Seeing as I've suggested buying shrubs, I'll try and save you money here! Geraniums salvaged from elsewhere in the garden would be ideal. You can also cheaply raise white foxgloves and white aquilegias from seed. Look out for bare root plants (Wilkos are a good bet) of things such as Dicentra (bleeding heart) and Polygonatum (Solomon's seal) and bulbs such as narcissi and anemones. Add some ferns to give a bit of a 'woodland' look.

Thanks so much everyone for the ideas- i shall now mull them over

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,050

Looking at your photo again - I would put a tree in the grass on either side of the end of the path that goes down from the fountain to the border. Then put some statuary or a big pot or something eyecatching even a seat in the border directly opposite the path end. That will draw the eye down the path from your fountain to ground level and not up to the fence and neighbouring house. The standard roses could be placed in the border in front of the posts as long as you have no problem with concrete from the posts, otherwise just space them evenly along the border. Bulbs can be planted front, middle or back of the border - just plant them in clumps. Daffodils and narcissi are quite cheap to buy in bulk at the moment. You could start off with a couple of standard roses and buy more as cash permits.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller