Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID help please

Hi a short while ago I asked for help to identify a plant from my daughters new garden, everyone was very helpful so I'd like to ask can anyone help with these plants too?  

• Meant to say that I think the 3rd one is Pyracantha but just wanted to confirm.

• First two are euonymous, third is pyracantha, fourth looks like artemesia, for some reason it won't allow me to enlarge, so there may be other suggestions for number 4.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think the last is rue, Ruta graveolens

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I would say rue tooimage

• Be careful with the rue - its sap can cause photosensitivity (skin burns in sunlight).  Keep it away from children.  Very pretty though!

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Thank you everyone, That is all her plants ID'd for now, I thought at least one of them might be Euonymous but wasn't sure.

Should we prune out the green on the Euonymous to keep the variegated?

I'll warn my daughter about the Rue and I agree Liriodendron that it is very pretty.

Thank you again, love this forum.

• Teresa Hooper wrote (see)

Thank you everyone, That is all her plants ID'd for now, I thought at least one of them might be Euonymous but wasn't sure.

Should we prune out the green on the Euonymous to keep the variegated?  ......

Yes, prune it back to the beginning of the branch.   It sounds as your daughter has acquired a lovely garden image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you Dovefromabove I will show her how to prune as you've advised.

It is a lovely little garden, ideally pretty low maintenance and a lovely suntrap! She is thrilled and is already getting the gardening bugimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Euonymous often revert but it's easy to snip out those stems that do as Dove has said. They're great shrubs for shady areas - very versatile - and low maintenance, which means there's more time for things that aren't ! The pyracantha has late spring/early summer flowers which bees and hoverflies love, and then berries at this time of year which the birds will eat. Great that your daughter is enjoying it all  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...