House Spiders

I've been reading in the news about house spiders being unusually big this year due to ideal conditions by all accounts. There was indeed a huge one on the kitchen wall this evening. My daughter is petrified of spiders so I caught it in a jug and let it go in the garden. They can't half move though can't they image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,532

Good work Fishy image You're well brave image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,966

I've had quite a few recently too Fishy. One had a stroll across the floor last night. Think I'll need some bigger glasses to collect them in though - big legs! image

You're right - they could literally give Mr Bolt a run for his money! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Girls at work spray theirselves when they go to bed with a spray that is meant to keep them away! From Lakeland image They also have put conkers all over their homes as apparently spiders don't like the smell of em 

Pm if you need conkers posted, I have lots! image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I tried the conker trick. Hate to tell you but I found a massive spider sitting on top of it like he was king of the castle! I swear he even winked at me! 

When I bought my first flat I remember a spider in the corner of the lounge that was so big it actually squeaked at me! No one ever believes me but I swear I heard it! 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,224

Tootles - that's very disturbing!! While not terrified of spiders, I don't like the idea of a huge one crawling across me while I'm asleep so always put them outside. Though as you say Verdun,they come back in again. And yes the media hype these stories,there's supposed to be a foreign species with huge green fangs spreading gradually north from the south coast.

My Mum had a serious spider phobia. She would go white as a sheet and run from the room. My daughter has inherited it I think.

Oh tootles I won't be telling the girls at work your story image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,966

I worked with a girl who was terrified of them. We use tassels at work - stop making up your own jokes now....image  and I caught her out one day by throwing a really dark one at her imageimage

She didn't speak to me for a while after that...can't imagine why   image

it looked just like this 

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P9020008_zps0d6ef797.jpg

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I love seeing all the spiders in autumn. Haven't seen any of the monster house spiders yet because I've been away. We have lots of false widows and i think they eat the house spiders....

They also eat the wasps though so I'm happy!  Wasps, although I wouldn't kill one, are the one insect I cannot love.