Forum home Problem solving

Discouraging Starlings

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

The mess I can imagine Lynimage.  Son was going to work but came back in for a bucket of water and a sponge to get all the mess off his car.  He said it's really embarrassing when sitting in a traffic jam and people look at you in disgustimage.

We are going have to seal up the entrances they have found to nest under the tiles once they have raised their youngimage

• What can I say... STARLINGS Grrrrr!   I love seeing them with their open mouthed young, but it's not long before the young start fighting and scaring off the other species.  I am going to buy another birdhouse and fit it with clear acetate panels so that only Robins etc can reach the inner sanctum where the bulk of the food will be. 

• Starlings can't eat black sunflowers seed which blue tits love and are not interested in nyger seeds which Goldfinch love. 

My other feeder with meal worms etc is in a starling resistant feeder which keeps 99% out.

Now I just get the occasional starling which is fine with me 

• keng3sdwkeng3sdw Posts: 9

We moved here 5 years ago, the lady and gentleman next door are keen about wild birds and so am i.

The problem is that they feed all the birds with every type of food, not only in feeders but over the floor of there garden, under there bushes etc.

Each year the starlings return and as has been said they breed profusely meaning that each year there are more and more.

This year is no exception, scaring them away has in previous years worked to a degree but this year they just do not take any notice.

The local authority will not get involved as they feel it is not her fault but the starlings and they cannot instruct the starlings, as they would not understand, there words not mine, rather an odd thing to say as i am sure you all would agree.

The noise and more so the mess to everything, washing etc, around is becoming a joke.

The irony of this is that the two people next door belong to a local RSPB group and have done so for well over 30 years holding a senior poisons, i would have hoped that they would know how to rationalize the amount of food and the location of it along with the type of feeders used.

They are adamant that they are doing there bit to increase the starling numbers in the UK, well its working as i am sure all will agree.

Regards to all

Ken

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,047

Ken - tell the local authority you've seen rats running through your garden. You might get a reaction from them then.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• keng3sdwkeng3sdw Posts: 9

I have, and i have, and all they have said is i will have to pay for a pest control company to deal with the rats, they said there hands are tied.

Thanks for replying to me though it is appreciated.

Ken

• Jennifer 10Jennifer 10 Posts: 112
    phil.robson100 says:

My other feeder with meal worms etc is in a starling resistant feeder which keeps 99% out.

See original postWhich feeder have you got that is starling resistant?    I would like one.

Last edited: 30 July 2017 14:33:32

• Cherish your starlings, Lunarz. They are declining nationally.

Joe

They are definitely not declining in my back garden Joe.l kid you not some time s l get up to 40/50 at a time . that's the reason why I have just joined the forum to see I can get some good ideas to deter them from my feeders
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,103
    40/50 !!, I have this lot and the rest of the flocks.costs a fortune to feed them. The field is full of them, all in equally large size flocks as these. I don’t know who it was that said they were in decline! Just come and look down here. 😩☹️😱

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,047
    I've often wondered about the decline  too, Lyn, but there must be areas where they're not much in evidence. 
    Chicken wire cages round your feeders will keep them off as the holes are too small for them, but big enough for little birds, Michael.
    I have fat feeders for the starlings in a back corner and they get stuck into those. It keeps the mess they make to a minmum too, as there's no way I can prevent them being here. 

I made a proper cage with wire frames round the outside, which does a smarter job than chicken wire, and they don't seem interested in the sunflower heart feeders. Keeps everyone happy  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....