Forum home Problem solving

Discouraging Starlings

• Dave46Dave46 Posts: 1

Can anyone tell me away to stop the starlings eating all the food from the feeders as I put out mealworms, sunflower seeds, fatballs and soltarners for the black boards.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,454

We like the starlings, but they are greedy - I scatter lots of suet pellets on the lawn for the starlings, they love them and fill up on them, leaving the other stuff for the smaller birds.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,225

I totally agree on the mealworm issue! I have been feeding and rescuing and healing birds at our house in the centre of Ipswich for 15years now so I'm known as a soft touch with the birds, in fact all the animals in the hood! Entire bag of meal worms picked out by starlings in one day!

It was intended for my robin collection! Now I have just admited that a part of my garden isn't mine and have given over an entire corner to bird feeding/bathing station. I spent a large portion of my student loan on bird food and now they are utilizing a large portion of my wage! But it is so lovely having a little bit of countryside in the city and I find it so calming and peaceful, except when the starlings arrive! image

Don't worry, like those that know have said, they go off and do their thing eventually!

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Is there a more wondrous sight than a murmuration of starlings?

Growing up , I lived next to a lido.

Every summer thousands of starling would fill the sky with their acrobatics.

They're all gone now.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I agree with you Darren.  Haven't seen any round here for years though there used to be a huge flock round the hospital in Dorchester as well as in the countryside.  I watched them last in Gillingham North Dorset 4 years ago, the traffic was stopping wherever it could just to watch. Such astonishing grace

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,225

I agree Dorset and Darren, I do enjoy watching their bulshy command of the garden!

Its fleeting but on mass! Noisy but no other small bird with such confidence! Strength in numbers I guess image

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i had the same trouble with raiding starlings clearing the lot on mass the summer before last, it was getting ridiculous how many there were but now i have bought a caged feeder for the wild bird seed which has sorted the problem out apart from the odd one with will reach in, i have the plastic tube type feeder for sunflower seeds and the one for the starlings is the hexagonal plastic feeder with small square holes with roasted peanuts in, which they love but don't clear in one go. i do love seeing them as they are very funny especially in the bird bath.

I always roast the peanuts on mass on a low heat when i buy them to remove the toxins from them as it is very harmful for birds, then i keep them in an old quarters sweet jar to keep them fresh image

i live not far from eastbourne and you can see them at the end of summer in their great swarms performing, lovely to watch

• trishann2trishann2 Posts: 1

Yes, I did love to watch them too. But I shall need a mortgage soon just to feed them.  And the little birds aren't getting a look-in. I wouldn't mind if the starlings were a bit more considerate!

from trishann, Dorset

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,047

sanjy - never mind roasting the peanuts - I'd rather roast the starlings!  image

If they would just get on with 'murmurating' and not come in the garden c****ing all over my windows, car and washing and eating all the food I'd be quite happy....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,103

How are the pet shops are allowed to sell the peanuts if they are toxic to the birds?

I agree with fairygirl, before we moved here 5 years ago, our previous house was the landing and departing place for them, The mess, you could not imagine, twice a year we had the have all of thr front walls washed and hosed down, the cars would be covered, every inch with white muck, terrible time.

Here they just swarm in great clouds, which I love to see, but if they settle they get chased off. There are acres and acres of land around here, they will not choose my garden.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.