Forum home Talkback

Green house heating

Hello 

I am trying to agree the designs for a new greenhouse to go into a walled kitchen garden which I am restoring. The greenhouse will be mostly used for propagation however I would like to use part of the greenhouse to sit in during the winter and part of it to extend the growing season. I would therefore like to heat part of it to a higher temperature than the rest. I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding how would be the best way to heat it as I don't want to make the wrong decision

Thank you 

Thank you 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I simply have an electric frostbuster which kicks in at about 6 or 7 centigrade.image

Paraffin is pricey these days unless you have 500 litres delivered! It also smells pretty vile.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...and makes the greenhouse too humid, I believe.

• Thank you for all your advice. I am going to have to replace two dilapidated Victorian glass houses one of which is a vine house as sadly ( although it breaks my heart to say it they are beyond repair) and so I would like to make a real feature of one new glass house which will replace both the old one. currently I am considering having three zones that I can heat independently with the central area being more like a conservatory. The green house supplier has suggested floor grills but the greenhouse is nowhere near the house so I feel that is a waste of expense if I can't get a gas supply into the greenhouse to serve a boiler. I just don't know if I can get enough heat from electric greenhouse heaters to make the conservatory section usable in winter.?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

thank you Lesley   

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

You could also have domestic heating oil a small boiler and 3 rads, one in each area with thermostats on each one with different settings. image

• Philippa thank you I will look into that type of system 

• Mike thank you for your suggestion do you know if I would need just one of the electrotherm units to supply all three zones by pipes or three separate units? 

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

Hello , could you put a picture on the site , always good to see what gardens look like , brings it to life in my opinionimage