Forum home Talkback

Green house heating

Hello 

I am trying to agree the designs for a new greenhouse to go into a walled kitchen garden which I am restoring. The greenhouse will be mostly used for propagation however I would like to use part of the greenhouse to sit in during the winter and part of it to extend the growing season. I would therefore like to heat part of it to a higher temperature than the rest. I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding how would be the best way to heat it as I don't want to make the wrong decision

Thank you 

Thank you 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I simply have an electric frostbuster which kicks in at about 6 or 7 centigrade.image

Paraffin is pricey these days unless you have 500 litres delivered! It also smells pretty vile.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...and makes the greenhouse too humid, I believe.

• Much depends on the size of the greenhouse, the size of your budget and what fuel you have available.  A small domestic boiler with radiators or hot water pipes would give you the "sitting" comfort for you and your plants .......you could divide the house so you were only heating the part you require. 

If you are actually renovating an old G/H or building a new one, it would make sense to look at double glazing as opposed to ordinary horticultural glass. The possibilities are endless but it mostly comes down to money.....both capital and running costsimage 

• Thank you for all your advice. I am going to have to replace two dilapidated Victorian glass houses one of which is a vine house as sadly ( although it breaks my heart to say it they are beyond repair) and so I would like to make a real feature of one new glass house which will replace both the old one. currently I am considering having three zones that I can heat independently with the central area being more like a conservatory. The green house supplier has suggested floor grills but the greenhouse is nowhere near the house so I feel that is a waste of expense if I can't get a gas supply into the greenhouse to serve a boiler. I just don't know if I can get enough heat from electric greenhouse heaters to make the conservatory section usable in winter.?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

thank you Lesley   

• Lesley.........there are domestic systems which run off bottled gas..........a useful alternative if you don't have a mains supply. 

Once you have determined the size and the minimum temps you require in each of the 3 zones, discuss your needs with a good plumber.image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

You could also have domestic heating oil a small boiler and 3 rads, one in each area with thermostats on each one with different settings. image

• Philippa thank you I will look into that type of system 

• Mike thank you for your suggestion do you know if I would need just one of the electrotherm units to supply all three zones by pipes or three separate units? 

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,448

Hello , could you put a picture on the site , always good to see what gardens look like , brings it to life in my opinionimage