Forum home Fruit & veg

Is there a show near you?

I grow a small amount of veggies every year for my local show. Just wondered if anyone else grow anything for the show bench. If so some pic's would be great or just some hints on how to produce that illusive giant.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243

I love going to shows, rusty. I love to look at other people's efforts, especially at the really tiny local shows when the produce looks as if it came from the corner shop's counter. But I would never dare go in for it myself unless it was for "rattiest looking carrot" or "stringiest beans".image

Come on, let's see yoursimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Rusty Spade, I entered our village show this year with a beautiful Collias. Even managed to get it in flower for the big day. It was fat and bushy and without blemish. However the ones that came first, second and third were tall, leggy and wonky. In my humble opinion I was robbed of a place!  There seemed to be a common theme of the same names winning everything! It won't put me off having another go next year though. I'm new to the village and Im told that it takes a while for the more mature end of the gardening circle to accept those below 40! I actually love this old fashioned village mentality though! It's like living on the set of a light hearted comedy set in the 1950s!