Forum home Talkback

Propagating Stephanotis

I would like to propagate a new houseplant from my Stephanotis and was wondering whether I could take cuttings.

During the setting up process for this new thread I tried to include photos but the process stopped with the message Service 503 is unavailable - whatever that means.

I shall try again once the new thread has become installed on the forum.

• Birdy..........you can take cuttings but may be easier to do by layeringimage

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
    About 18 months ago I realised our two Stephanotis house plants which originally had beautiful white flowers on them, were suffering badly. They had been out of full sun (as recommended on the label) but in the relative shade of our hall.    I hadn't noticed that the occasional  yellowing of a leaf or two had become more frequent until they both started quickly dropping  almost all of their leaves.   I set to, repotting both in fresh compost, in bigger pots with extra feed added and then moved them into our lounge to a side windowsill facing west where there were no draughts and there was more light but no direct sun - at least until mid afternoon to evening when the rays were slanting at a less fierce angle.   Unfortunately, in spite of the belated first aid and TLC, one plant died after it lost its last remaining leaves.   The other, however, after losing all but one leaf, began to thrive and I was thrilled when I noticed this regrowth in July (2013).  

http://cid:5F49FD9C-2477-46C1-B2E3-6CC4E981A668@mobilenotes.apple.com

This was all the more important to me because they had been chosen and lovingly cared for by my wife who absolutely adored her plants and garden but had been unable to keep up her activities as she became more ill.   I knew the plants were there - but it was like I had seen them yet just not noticed them during the awful months after losing her.   I was overjoyed when this year the successful plant rewarded me with loads of regrowth and half a dozen or so lovely white scented flowers - the latter sadly now finished.  
    http://cid:91348279-43AC-4D7C-81CB-AC01CA411C4B@mobilenotes.apple.com

Unfortunately the new growth has been impossible to properly retrain around the frame without risking snapping it off. I am wondering, however, whether it is possible to take cuttings, and if so, how to propagate them? I would then then be able to start it off again in the other pot. This would not only enable me to tidy up the plant in the photo and maybe retrain it round its frame (it is supposed to grow round and round itself again I think) but would also help me feel I had somehow redeemed myself for having let the two plants get so poorly in the first place that I losth one of them.   Is there anyone out there who has some experience of Stephanotis house plants who could advise me? It would mean quite a lot if I could, as it were 'recover' the lost plant.

Sorry, Philippa, my second post was delayed by struggling with the photos.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what layering involves. Do you use the leaves in some way?

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

This ought give you all the info, Birdy13, good luck with the propogation!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=623

Just seen your post SwissSue. Thanks so much for the link - there's a lot there. Very informative. Gimagereat!