Forum home Talkback

Rose propagation help

Hi everyone, I'm growing roses from cuttings for the first time. I've followed a method online using 2 litre pop bottles as mini greenhouses. The original site I followed recommended cutting off the top of the bottle so it is fully enclosed but now I've done it every other site I've checked says cut the bottle off so you can let air in. Has anyone got advice on what I should do? I could cut holes in the bottle, take it off for a whole daily or even do away with it all together and let them just have fresh air? Any advice is much appreciated! J

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Hi Jon, you'll get someone who knows way more thN ME IN A MIN, I THINK IT DEPNDES IF THEY'RE SOFT OR HARDWOOD CUTTINGS, I'VE TAKEN BOTH, THE SOFTWOOD ONES I COVERED FOR A FEW DAYS THEN OH SOrry didn't realise i was shouting (!) took off plythene bags, the hardwood ones i haven' tcovered at all, have no idea how any of them will do! I never seem to do weel with cuttings though this year have managed quite a few lavender ones successfully

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,318

I put rose cuttings in a slit trench in gritty soil and leave them outside for 12 to 18 months. No protection, just make sure they don't dry out in the summer image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove do they stay green or look dead? I've always pulled mine up after a few weeks (d'oh!!) previously as thought they'd failed, had no idea before a couple of weeks ago when i read on this site i had to leave so long!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,318

Sometimes they look dead as doornails, but then in the spring they grow leaves. Hardwood cuttings take quite a while to strike image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Oh I am sooo excited I may have 7 baby Gertrudes!!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

I follow the instructions of an ancient crone I knew when I was young. She could grow parsley by the ton and I always thought she was a witch. But her rose cuttings always took. Mine aren't as guaranteed as hers, and I find some varieties are impossible to strike, but here is what she taught me:

Choose a strong parent plant in August or September. Find a shoot which is about 4 or 5 mm in diameter and about 25 to 30 cms long which has no flower buds on it. Carefully snap the cutting off the branch that it comes off, leaving a little "heel" of the older branch at the bottom of the cutting-to-be. Trim off any straggly bits that might be attached to the base of the cutting. Cut off the top of the cutting, just above a leaf joint, leaving the cutting about 20 cms long or a little less. Gently pull off all the leaves with their junction with the cutting, apart from the top one. Now, bizarrely, put the base of the cutting in your mouth and wet it with plenty of saliva. I KNOW, IT'S CRAZY. but it works. Keep the cutting in your mouth while you search for a patch of soil that is gritty, not too wet, not too dry and which will not be disturbed by hoeing, weeding, digging etc for at least a year. Sunshine isn't necessary.

Leave it alone. No peeking. If it goes black it has died. If it stays green, it's alive. Leave it for a year. When you dig it up then it will have roots. Unless it's the type that refuses to strike!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

pansyface i did put them in water before i planted but not my mouth..!!! the rose would really have to love chocolate if i did that!!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Priceless Pansyimage  I'll have to try that.