pulled my first parsnip yesterday.

I pulled my first parsnip yesterday and it went around 6 people. Here's my video of me digging it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWT3oTY0s8

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,933

But what did it taste like.?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • It tasted like parsnip, but it din't have that sweet caramel taste.I think it will be better after the first frost.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Perhaps roasting them would bring out the sweetness.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Parsnips do not develop their beautiful sweetness until late in the season after the first few frosts. Before that they taste rather bland even when roasted. The conversion of starch to sugars in the tissue of the root provides a kind of antifreeze for the plant. In my garden they stay outside all winter and the temperature can easily drop to -20 C or lower and they are unharmed (a metre of snow probably helps as well!).

• my parsnips are still in , when is the latest they can be left in till ?

• In the UK it is OK to leave parsnips in the ground until they show the first new growth in the Spring after that it is "too late". Even in Newfoundland, where the winters are colder, they stay in the ground and I dig them as needed right through the winter. (Digging them can be fun when the snow gets really deep)

I keep a few of the best parsnip roots (of a non-hybrid variety) and let them flower to make seed for the following year. Yes, they make decorative plants up to 2 metres tall with wonderful yellowish-green flower heads (umbels) and finally give ripe seed in August/September (germination test is usually better than 80% on the cleaned seed)

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,035

Hello , yes I leave mine in until the frost but always good to Dix on up just see , then pop it in a slower cooker with lots of other veg and it is fine

never thought of letting one go to seed will do that this year just to seeimage

• It's quite something, isn't it, when you pull a parsnip to go with a roast dinner and find the parsnip weighs more than the joint! Always an exciting moment when you dig one uo, not knowing whether it will be a runt or a brute. And of course if you decide to dig up "just one more", you can guarantee it will be a monster!

I try to leave mine until Christmas, or the first frosts, as they are sweeter later on. Same applies to bought parsnips. Once I bought some from Spain, which looked good but tasted awful - they need a bit of cold.