Forum home Wildlife gardening

Natural pond

I have a large natural pond in my garden, I also have a number of ducks both domestic and wild. Where do I find information about maintaining such a pond and how do I find out about the water quality and how - if need be - to improve it? I have loads more questions re duck proof planting etc.........Heeelp!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,944

Don't think there's any such thing as duck proof planting! image

Heather - when you say the pond's natural, do you mean the water supply or just that it's a nature/wildlife pond? The water quality will be pretty good in a pond with a natural source of water, a pond with standing water will need oxygenators to help it.

The main things to look out for re the maintenance are keeping debris out - fallen leaves etc, and keeping blanketweed/algae at bay. There's lots of info on these two things on the threads philippa's mentioned. 

If you can take some pix that will help with any advice. Click on the tree icon in the toolbar above the posting window, and follow the instructions  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

When I lived with my parents years ago,my Mum had ducks and one day the gate was left open. They wrecked all the plants in the pond including a lovely lily.

I could do with a natural water supply right now. I think I've got new pond syndrome,the water is brown. Probably too many plants too soon plus I have soil regularly falling in from the turves lining the edge. Oh well,patience is needed with a new pond and it will balance itself out in the end,hopefully the watercress will start using up some nutrients.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

I dont think you can have too many plants, the chappie who wrote the book I am going by says 60% of the surface should be covered.

Maybe because it was tap water, it will take longer to clear. Mine is completely clear I can see right down to the bottom of the deep bit, maybe you just need more oxygenators, they will take up the nutriients.i

When I kept ducks they only had baby baths and those shell sand pits from the kids store.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

I contacted these guys about my wildlife pond and got some very useful info:

http://www.freshwaterhabitats.org.uk