Forum home Talkback

Seasonal Pot problems

I am new to GW (I got a subscription for my Birthday in March).  Already my garden is looking much improved.  A better lawn, a new border and I have just planted some bulbs for the first time ever - and looking forward to seeing them come up in the spring (hopefully!).  I was somewhat disappointed when I decided to have a go at planting up the seasonal pot (page 13) in this months issue.  I got to our large local garden centre and couldn't find many of the plants mentioned.  There was a very large white flowering heather for about £9.99 and a mixed tray of 8 small hebes for £10.99 which included one like the picture.  There were also some Heuchera's (again for about £9.99) but no Phormium's (only simply massive ones) or Carex.  Nothing seemed the right size and everything was very expensive and too big.  I ended up purchasing a ready planted container for £14.99 and I plan to swap the plants to by window box - which seems somewhat defeatist, but a cheaper alternative and the plants are the right size.  I will reuse the container to plant some bulbs - so I guess i am being somewhat enterprising . . .   just wondered if other people had the same problem?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,596

Are you near a Morrison or Lidl, a bit later on they will sell all the plants you need to make some nice winter tubs, buy a packet of short/miniature dafs some primulas and pansys. All fo

r around a couple of pounds, we cant all go to the extremes of the GW mag, much too pricey.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn - There is a Lidl near me (no Morrisons for miles) and a Wilko which often has good plants.  I will have a look on my next day off.  Most of my garden has been courtesy of Wilko . . . 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,596

Dont be to hasty, mid October would do or they will be overgrown to quickly,

later on will be cold and they wont grow very fast. Plenty of time to put daffs in.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Those prices you mention are outrageous; is there not a small friendly Plant Nursery in your area that is not part of a big chain, or search out plant auctions on the internetimage

• Hmm - I think you might be right about the bulbs Lyn - they seem to be growing already . . . . I thought they knew what to do - oh dear!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,496

Don't worry about the bulbs growing now - they'll slow down when the cooler weather comes, and they'll be fine image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

You're right to look in Wilkos, they have some really good seasonal bargains.  Got some iris reticulata, allium purple sensation, hyacinth city  of harlem and anemone de caen from there this year and they are so cheap if they only last a year it's not a huge waste of money.  They also sell a massive wooden handle steel tipped 'dibber' which I'll use for bulb planting in future for a few quid.  I had two delphinium black knight from there this summer and they flowered 3 time due to the great summer we've had.  You should be able to get trays of winter pansies for a few quid soon from supermarkets like others have mentioned, so keep your eyes peeled. image (peeled eyes)