Forum home Talkback

lawns

My garden is on a slight slope and my grass is not level.  I am raising all my grass (more on one side) so that it is level.  What I need to know is how much top soil is needed on top of my existing turf for the new turf to grow?  Taking up and relaying the current grass is a waste as its not fantastic but is weed free.  It will be about 4'' higher on the highest side so would 4'' of top soil be enough, or do I need to remove all the existing grass before putting new down?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

There are a couple of problems doing that.  Because of the slope you will need to remove some of the old turf where it meets the new section anyway, otherwise you can't make a level join.  Personally, I'd remove all of the old turf which will make levelling the whole area much, much easier.  The other problem is that the new turf may not match the old turf (eg a different combination of grass species) and the join may always stay visible and start to annoy you in the future.  If you do remove the old turf and stack it grass side down somewhere out of the way for a few months, you will create some rather nice soil for use on your borders or for potting etc. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Yes PAuline7 I am going to raise all the grass level up by 4'' the lowest point will be coming up about a foot or so.  

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

In that case shazzab, you can just cover the old turf with the new topsoil - the old grass will die and actually improve the soil when it rots down. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks Bobthegardener, that's what I told my hubby but I don't think he believed me haha.  Hopefully we'll have a lovely, lush, level lawn!