moving blackberry plant

I have a thornless blackberry plant that I need to move.  It has already finished fruiting but next year's branches are already quite long.  When's the best time to dig up and move, and should I cut back next year's branches and sacrifice the crop for next year?  Can anyone offer any advice please.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,658

I'd do it once the leaves have fallen. Prepare the site well and when you dig them take as large a rootball as possible.  Lift the rootball and slide it onto a sheet of plastic or binbag and drag it to the new site to keep the soil around the rootball as intact as possible.

I'd try to do it without cutting back the branches, but you may need to shorten them a bit and tie them up to make it easier to handle.

Water in and mulch with leafmould and it should be fine. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you.  I didn't want to kill it by moving it at the wrong time of year.  So I'll wait a bit longer I think.

• hutchmanhutchman Ringwood. Hampshire. UKPosts: 37

Hi all, I have the same problem excepting that I need to transplant it when we move next June.

Could I take it out of the ground when its dormant - now - late November and put into a large Pot ready for transferring to its new home next year.

Any advice gratefully appreciated. image

That's what I would do - you'll probably have to cut it back when you move in June and forgo fruit for 2016 - but otherwise I'm sure it'll be fine. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Dovefromabove.  

Appreciate your prompt response, do you think it might be a good idea to cut it back now before lifting into the pot to over winter ?

Thanks & regards 

Yes, it'll make the job much easier image

Ok, thanks for your advice Dovefromabove.

Will do this weekend if weather down here in New Forestland remains mild image 

Kind regards