Forum home The potting shed

The most surprising new plant in your garden

124»

• No Lyn, I only planted them last year and put them in the border, I have since find out they prefer containers and didn't flower this year so am moving them and then that's where they will stay image

The chocolate cosmos is a lot smaller Lyn and not at all feathery like the annual variety, so should be a bit more wind proof.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Oh that would be great Orchid Lady if it's not too much bother.  I think the ones I did were a mix free on the front of GW mag but only the pink ones survived and I wanted to use them up as they were from last year.  I didn't know they could grow that tall either, think some pinching out should have happened at some point! image

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,662

I think I'm going to put Chocca mocha into pots and then just place the pots in the border when there is a gap.  I have left my agapanthus out in the garden.  One of them has been in for 3 years so it has been through a bad winter and it was fine.  One went in last year so has only had a mild winter and the other is new this year.  I only have a tiny greenhouse so most of my plants have to survive outside.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • As my garden is a work in progress right now after being just grass and weeds for at least the last 74 years (My Gran lived here from 1940 till she passed away 10 years ago, and my Mum isn't a gardener). The garden is a blank canvas which I started working on in May this year. The only plant growing in the back garden before May was a 25 - 30 year old Hebe which my Gran had planted.

So far, I have only got 1 smallish flower bed, approx 2 feet wide by 10 feet long.

It has a mixture of annual bedding plants, plus 1 verbena bonariensis, 1 lobelia cardinalis, and 3 geranium "Chocolate Candy" which I bought.

Plus, grown from seed - alyssum, sweet peas,  several sunflower "Prado Red", echinacea purpurea (won't flower till next year), and a very nice surprise poppy.

The poppy is my most surprising plant so far. Grown from seed from a packet of Papaver commutatum "Ladybird" and sown directly where it has grown, instead of deep red with black spots on the base of each petal, I have a Salmon Pink poppy with a white centre and white around the top edge of the petal.

I spent days searching online to find a poppy similar to my one and the only one similar that I could find was the Shirley Poppy (a variety of Papaver rhoeas).

I contacted the nursery who I'd bought the P.commutatum seeds from at a gardening show to ask if they had ever grown anything similar to the one I have. They hadn't...not ever.

So, I have a poppy which is similar in appearance to P.rhoeas "Shirley Poppy", which has grown from seed grown, collected and sold by a nursery which has only ever grown P.commutatum "Ladybird".

( Disclaimer - I'm new to growing anything from seed, so finding this poppy situation a bit confusing image ).