Forum home The potting shed

The most surprising new plant in your garden

• I grow Chocolate Cosmos in a container, then I move it into the garage for the winter.

• Well I'm glad you told me that, I was about to plant it our tomorrow!!!  Big oops, won't bother now and will leave a space for it until spring....it's scary how much there is to learn and remember, just when I though I was getting somewhere image

• Lesley...thanks for the reminder, I must dig up my agapanthus and out them in a pot in the GH!!  I told my OH tonight there wasn't much to do in the garden LOL!!!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Never thought of the garage Mark. What about light and water?

We're all still learning OL.  Nobody here would claim to know everything.  Some are experts in certain areas and between them all we get great adviceimage

• I know Lesley, we never stop learning but some days I just feel like it isn't sinking in at all......I could do with someone coming to my garden and telling me what to do!!

You have PM by the way image

You have one back OLimage

• LesleyK , the plant will die down in the Autumn, so I place the pot somewhere to dry out a little, then move to the garage, no light or water needed until it pops up in the spring.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

I've been growing Cosmos from seed for a few years now. Easy to grow and a very cheerful flower - mine this year were mid-pink to magenta image Or is mid-pink magenta anyway image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,865

OL, do you always dig up the agapanthus, I thought they didnt like to be disturbed Mine are in a big terra pot and I move the whole thing into the greenhouse for the winter.

I would like to try the choc cosmos, the only thing here is the wind, I took photos of my pink ones the other day, they are now all gone all but one plant, I alwys delay flowering until they are 6 to 7 ft tall, then they bloom right through till winter, but with the gales last week, all broken down, from now on I am sticking to the low ones.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks Mark - I'll do that and probably the same with the agapanthus as Lyn says.