Forum home The potting shed

The most surprising new plant in your garden

• I'm so excited Verdun.....as you can probably imagine, unusual as I'm not avery excitable person really image  If I win it I will need advice on what to out in it of course image

• I have 3 Belfast sinks image

• I got a pack of Purity white cosmos last year free with GW mag, I thought I'd give them a try and wow they transformed my flowerbed that I had that year cleared and planted up.  This year I've gone for the mixed pink varieties and they have done a great job hiding a new fence and filling in gaps.  Love them. 

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

My cosmos is taller than me this year (5 foot 3) and still covered in buds!  I'd like to do the white one next year and hopefully a shorter type.

• Wow Mrs G that's huge, I didn't realise they could grow that big.

I could save you some of my white seeds if you like, they should come true as no others have been grown with them.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,662

First year Ive grown Cosmos and they will definitely be on my list next year.  They are great for filling in any gaps that develop and Im planning to grow them next to a couple of new peonies that wont be flowering for a couple of years.  I've already got the Chocca mocca from the mag and Ive also bought a packet of Daydream.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Yvie, I got the chocca mocha too, it smells delicious but that's a perennial Cosmos, it looks different to the annuals (sorry if you knew that already), when I went to the GC looking for it I was really surprised as I didn't know there was an perennial variety.

That is going in my red/yellow/brown bit of the border image

Excuse typos....no glasses on as iPad charging up and couldn't be bothered betting my glasses!l

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I quite fancied chocca mocha when I had a garden voucher but read that it is a more tender perennial and I don't have a greenhouse to overwinter it.  I believe it is fine in less cold areas than oop north.  I unwisely spent the voucher on agapanthus which also needs some protection.image