Forum home The potting shed

The most surprising new plant in your garden

Having just been out deadheading the Cosmos I grew from seed, it occurred to me what a lovely and very easy to grow plant it is. It must be the biggest surprise for me this year, far more flowers than I though I would get and it still has lots of buds on.......definitely one I will be growing every year now image

And here it is, I can see it from the kitchen and it makes me smile image I have some other ones but they are smaller.  I can't wait for pink ones next year.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,201

Me too for the cosmos, first time growing it from seed. Mine aren't as tall as some of the ones I've seen one here- about 2' but so many flowers and for months nowimage

For next year I've got some free mag ones and I've ordered Daydream. I also ordered Diablo from Hardy's but they mugged me off for some reasonimage Oh wellimage

• My mum 'stole' some seeds last week for me when she was out and spotted a really deep pink one......I'm also going to buy some pale pink seed and I've saved seed from my white ones, looking forward to a lovely display next year image

Was it easy to save the seed? I'll have a go with mine, they're a dark pink/burgundy called Rubenza. Do the colours come true do you know?

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Cosmos are a must have in my garden every year.  They're brilliant for filling gaps but this year I deliberately went for a smaller variety as we do get strong winds that play havoc with the taller ones and I haven't got enough supports for everything that needs them.

I have taken seeds from them this year for the first time but I don't think they will come true.  There's only one way to find outimage

Then I'll do it Lesley!image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,294

They don't come true but they will seed themselves, particularly if you are as lax with your weeding as I am. They germinate very late and then put on a tremendous spurt of growth so that they are only a little later than the proper ones. Also, they are a bit shorter, which is good.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I have no idea if they come true, trial and error for me I'm afraid, all I know is the ones I planted this year were pinks on the packet and were all white except one which got destroyed in the wind image

My mum showed me how to get the seed the other day, just let the flower dry out and then rub the seeds with your finger and they fall off.....easy peasy image I'd never taken seed before that

• You and your perennials Verdun image

Anyway.....off for more important things.....I've found a chimney pot on eBay £10 and no bids image