Forum home The potting shed

What's been your best garden freebie?

Having recently started gardening, I can already see that it can get pretty expensive, which got me thinking.

Have you ever been given, or perhaps even found a brilliant garden freebie?

If so please let me know, it might give me some new ideas for gardening, and I do so love to hear of other people's good fortune. image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,295

One very kind old neighbour gave me a whole row of asparagus plants. I didn't have the heart to say that I was just about to be moved in my job and would have to leave them for the next owner.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Oww that's a very good freebie, shame you couldn't take them with you image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,295

I often dream about itimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,201

I've been given lots of lovely but unwanted plants, rudbeckia, liatris, crocosmia, lychnis, a giant saxifrage I split into loads to edge my path. Most recently I was given a pink peony, I know they don't like being planted deeply but even so I suspect I've given it a shallow grave. It was like burying a huge bag of potatoes.

My late neighbour gave me a whole tray of stock seedlings this year too. Something I'd never think to grow but they've been flowering for months.

I also requisition plants when I visit people whose gardens I view as unkempt and uncared for- most of my blue lupins and all the 'original flavour' sedums I have I acquired in this manner. image

• Wow Victoria Sponge, it sounds like you've got loads of great freebies, i'd love the be so lucky. I've not managed to acquire any free plant yet, just a very large plant pot out of a skip, and I have no idea what to plant in that. image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,265

One of the major suppliers sent me a Magnolia tree with a nice apology letter and a voucher.  I didn't order it and as I knew it wouldn't survive the return journey intact, I had to plant and keep it (purely for the health of the tree, you understand!) image

Kind of makes up for the rather poor service I have had from them in previous years..

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I hope the magnolia tree is still in good health Bobthegardener, if so then it was surely the right decision and meant to be. image

• None of my neighbours seem that into gardening. I used to have an elderly neighbour who gave me lots of his tomatos (not the plants just the fruit) but it's been several years since he left image
    I'm happy with my skip find,it's a huge pot I just have no idea what to plant image

However, we do have an allotment nearby, so I might go and be a nosy parker up there and see if anyone is forthcoming with some freebies image

• I've got a lovely chimenea that a (much richer) gardening friend did not want - I use it to burn prunings and leaves. Also have an arch for climbers and my big glazed pots that I grow hostas in from the same source. Spread the word that you have a garden to fill and you're sure to get some offers of free plants and stuff. My current fave freebies are seeds that I have received "free" with various gardening mags - many have germinated, and I will be planting out lots of plants this Autumn and in spring: aquilegias, honesty, ammi majus, foxgloves and hollyhocks. I've also collected seed from other people's gardens.

• Wow Ginglygangly a free chimenea, now that's a pretty snazzy freebie.

I'm hoping the seedling I asked for an ID on is a tree of some type, I think a tree would look lovely in a pot. Although that's some years off yet since it's only about 8cm tall, and might not be a tree image

As for the allotment you've convinced me to go and try my luck, if I go, lend an ear and look a bit lost, hopefully people will take pity on meimage