Forum home Fruit & veg

Rose garden mixed with edible fruits share same bed safe?

Hello,

A newbie on this thread here. Wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

Basically, I have a rose garden, I bought a new apply tree and would like to plant it down in to the side of my lawn (underground)

I already have two rose climbers end on each side so I'm wondering if it is safe to plant my apple tree in between, they are quite apart, I'd say about 3ft apart but my greatest concern is whether is is safe to plant edible crops there as I fertilize my roses often and also would the fertilizer leak in to my apply tree?

Any advice appreciated.

thank you image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,590

Your apple tree will be happy to make use of any fertiliser that you give it. The risk is that you give it too much and the tree will put out a lot of sappy growth that will be prone to greenfly and so on. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,382

It should be fine, some people grow climbing roses up old apple trees. But you say you are worried about planting edible crops near fertiliser, so do you mean will the fertiliser make the apples inedible? That doesn't happen, the plant or tree uses the fertiliser for it's food but it doesn't poison it's crops for us to eat. If anything, the apples will be bigger and better.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • hello Pansy face and Busy-lizzie,

Thank you for your kind comments,

Yes, I'm just a little worried about if any toxic elements would leak in to my apples making them dangerous to eat.

I just figured maybe applying a fertiliser suitable for roses and also fruits just to be on the safe side.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I wouldn't overdo the fertiliser. Plants get soft and susceptible to whatever problem is about. Most of the fertilisers contain the same stuff in different proportions. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,382

Rose fertiliser doesn't poison the food from the plant it fertilises. You can feed raspberries with rose fertiliser. Now pesticides that's another matter.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Yes, it's pesticides you'd have to be careful about - things you might use against aphids or black spot. Many insecticides are OK for edibles as well as ornamentals, but most fungicides can't be used on food plants. Fertilizers don't contain anything toxic and won't be a problem.