Forum home Tools and techniques

Frugal gardening techniques

2»

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

You can try salt on dandelions and such like in the lawn-if you just out put on the weed -there are proprietary lawn weed killer that just kill broadleaved weeds and do not harm the grass-vinegar will damage everything-it can't tell the difference.image

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

After I've washed the kitchen floor I  put a small amount of bleach in the water and pour it on the gravel drive making sure it doesn't go on nearby plants. Still have to rake it every 2 weeks or so, especially this year.

• biff227biff227 Posts: 18

salt??  I had heard (may be wrongly) that nothing ever grows again on salted land???

Ref teh bleach idea I do that on the gravel path as well!  Also down the side of the drive way, works a treat!image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    biff227 wrote (see)

salt??  I had heard (may be wrongly) that nothing ever grows again on salted land???

Ref teh bleach idea I do that on the gravel path as well!  Also down the side of the drive way, works a treat!image

imageYou dont throw it about-just put a bit on the actual weed.

• biff227biff227 Posts: 18

Just a final update on the Vinegar weedkiller.  Yes it works, but be very careful how you apply.  It was worked really well on the path, driveway.  But on the lawn where I had a few dandelions it has killed masses of grass around the weed.Roughly 8 inches either side of the dead weed.