Forum home Talkback

Talkback: The best crops for flavour

I grew Sweet Apperitif this year alongside Gardeners Delight. The small, abundant fruits of the new addition were, quite literally, a taste sensation and I have bought my seeds for next year already. One huge disappointment was the grafted tom I got from the garden centre. Plenty of fruit, but almost no flavour! Won't be growing that again.

• Hilary this year I found the tomato's my Dad always grew Ailsa Craig they are not as abundant as Money maker but the taste is as I remembered wonderful still eating the last now. Gardeners delight is a must as the Grandchildren love eating them off the bush. Shirley have more taste than money maker though still not as mouth watering as the Ailsa Craig. Why graft tomato's when a packet of seed gives far more than you need, never tried them and doubt I ever will.

Frank.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,818

I've always liked Gardener's Delight and grew some more this year.  However I was given some Sungold plants, and I must say the flavour of these little golden balls surpasses even GD - I'm eating them like sweets every time I go into the garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I grew Gardeners Delight this year too and I must say I loved them image will grow more next year... are the Sun gold tomatoes cherry ones too, Dove?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,818

Yes, a little bit smaller than GD and with a sweet/acid tang that I love image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hmmm tempted.... very tempted image
  • Do not grow Ildi, lovely looking yellow cherry sized plum shape. Tastes like wallpaper paste (in my imagination anyway).

Do not grow yellow stuffer either, another yellow tomato with no flavour.

Pink flamingo had very little flavour and kept falling off the plants.

Gardeners Delight and Sungold are my favourite so far

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,327

For a red version of the extremely flavoursome Sungold (which are orange) cherry tomatoes, I have not found anything to beat Suncherry Premium (F1).  They are slightly small than Gardener's Delight but are less prone to splitting and seem to have better disease resistance.  The downside is that the seeds are rather expensive from some of the well-known suppliers (one charges the equivalent of over 60p each!) so worth shopping around.  I usually grow about 10 varieties every year and am always trying different varieties but Sungold and Suncherry are permanently on my 'definites' list. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Gardeners' Delight and Moneymaker are my two 'go to' favourites - but I always like to trial a couple of others for variety: Chocolate Cherry gave lots of flavoursome (colourful) & tangy fruit, whereas Orange Belle was disappointing; few fruit, slow-growing and rather bland. I might give Sungold a go next year.

Have other growers suggestions based on flavour tasting experiences?

• I agree with the choice of Sungold. They are sweet, with that aromatic flavour you only get with garden tomatoes. Like Dove up there, I love them straight off the plant, when the flavour is at its finest. And they seem to be quite resistant to blight. They are expensive F1 seeds, though.

• Take off side shoots of Sungold or any tomato plant. Put in some water and you will have more plants for free in about 3 weeks.