No berries on my rowan trees

Can anybody tell me why my rowan trees which were sat last year did not produce berries this year. 

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Sorry, what do you mean "sat last year"?

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

Set?

Anyway, I have a rowan tree. It does have some berries on it, but far fewer than normal...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/rowan1.jpg

But what is significant about the tree is that there are far fewer leaves than normal. This is particularly noticable if you stand under the tree, and look upwards...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/rowan2.jpg

My guess is that the tree is in a bad way because of the very wet conditions we've been having for month's on end. But that is only a guess, and yours may be suffering from a quite different problem.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

If you mean that it was planted last year, my guess is that it's spent this growing season trying to establish a good root system (even plants have to prioritise, especially in bad growing years).  Give it time - the rowan is a hardy plant and as long as it's not in boggy ground it should be ok - remember it's at home on well-drained exposed hillsides 

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/leedsharrogate/23kirkbymalzeard/kirkbymalzeardmoor08.jpg

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Dolores2Dolores2 Posts: 19

Thanks for your replies.I guess I will have to be patient and wait and see. 

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

... it's at home on well-drained exposed hillsides ...

That's really interesting, because I'm on a heavy clay soil, and the drainage is particularly poor.

Although Rowan is said to be a 'native' tree, they are not actually found in the wild environment in my area. They only occur where gardeners, like me, have bought them, and planted them!

Nature knows the best place to grow everything.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

Got it in one Gary - there are so many different soil types and conditions in the UK that just because something is described as 'native' it doesn't mean it's suitable for everywhere - on a clay soil I'd have gone for a crab apple or a hawthorn.  Similar size to the rowan, also with blossom and fruit and good wildlife value.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • lynne24lynne24 Posts: 121

i have rowan trees 1 in my front garden and i in my back garden, and this year i have had more berries than ever, the trees where weighed down with them, they are also in heavy poor drain clay soil, i love seeing the blackbirds on them, i would like to know why the birds never seem to eat the berries that have dropped

• We have had a rowan tree 6 years now in well drained soil its very healthy and leaves are great but weve never had any berries , what is wrong .

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

Have you had any flowers?

• No