what can i use instead of plastic pots

I am potting on lots of seeds and I have run out of small 3inch flower pots.  Does anyone have ideas what I can use - have thought of coleslaw pots etc but they are clear - does this matter or do the roots need to be in darkness.  I really don't want to have to buy any plastic pots - when I think of the hundreds I must have thrown away over the years.  Only got my greenhouse this year and have been going mad growing seeds.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Origami some paper ones or toilet roll holders, tape over the bottom.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Plastic drink cups,yogurt pots-

look on freecycle-I often see flowerpots being given away.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Most of the garden centres near me have a large bin neat the exit where they put trays (usualy used for holding pots), I've used these quite often as seed trays, but I guess you could also pot on in to them.

As kate says you can also use newpaper (link).

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-organic-planting-pots-using-old-newspa/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,425

Our local garden centre (Notcutts) has a place where you can take unwanted plastic pots, and if you need some you can go and help yourself.  Do you have a Notcutts near you?

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • The think is I want to keep things in them to plant out next spring so am thinking that paper will not last the winter in the greenhouse.  I shall have a look at my garden centre, and yes we do have a Notcutts.  Thanks everyone for your help image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,425

Oh image just looked at your page Lavender Lady - your Notcutts is probably my Notcutts image  The recycled pots bin is just by the side of the pedestrian entrance as you go in from the car park image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • Miss BecksMiss Becks Posts: 3,468

Empty butter tubs,trays that fruit/meat come in, plastic milk cartons with the lids cut off, plastic squash/pop bottles with the tops cut off. Anything plastic with depth really. Nothing is safe in our house! Jess has never eaten so many yoghurts and trifles! image

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Lavender Lady what has been your most successful seed sowing this year?

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I always keep yoghurt pots to use as plant pots.  I'm not allowed to put them in my recycling bin so I'm recycling them myself.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,953

Lavender Lady, some good idea's given...

...and although you don't want to buy any pots... Garden superstore online sell pots 7cm square by 8cm deep - light weight 6p each and heavy weight 13p each. 15 fit in a seed tray, so 90p for 15 light weight or £1.95 for heavy weight. I'd recommend the heavy weight and Wilkco may sell them cheaper - worth a thought, as you'll still need to purchase yoghurts for their pots and you might need rather alot... there's only so many yoghurts a person can eatimage