what can i use instead of plastic pots

I am potting on lots of seeds and I have run out of small 3inch flower pots.  Does anyone have ideas what I can use - have thought of coleslaw pots etc but they are clear - does this matter or do the roots need to be in darkness.  I really don't want to have to buy any plastic pots - when I think of the hundreds I must have thrown away over the years.  Only got my greenhouse this year and have been going mad growing seeds.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Origami some paper ones or toilet roll holders, tape over the bottom.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Plastic drink cups,yogurt pots-

look on freecycle-I often see flowerpots being given away.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Most of the garden centres near me have a large bin neat the exit where they put trays (usualy used for holding pots), I've used these quite often as seed trays, but I guess you could also pot on in to them.

As kate says you can also use newpaper (link).

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-organic-planting-pots-using-old-newspa/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

Our local garden centre (Notcutts) has a place where you can take unwanted plastic pots, and if you need some you can go and help yourself.  Do you have a Notcutts near you?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • The think is I want to keep things in them to plant out next spring so am thinking that paper will not last the winter in the greenhouse.  I shall have a look at my garden centre, and yes we do have a Notcutts.  Thanks everyone for your help image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

Oh image just looked at your page Lavender Lady - your Notcutts is probably my Notcutts image  The recycled pots bin is just by the side of the pedestrian entrance as you go in from the car park image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Miss BecksMiss Becks Posts: 3,468

Empty butter tubs,trays that fruit/meat come in, plastic milk cartons with the lids cut off, plastic squash/pop bottles with the tops cut off. Anything plastic with depth really. Nothing is safe in our house! Jess has never eaten so many yoghurts and trifles! image

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Lavender Lady what has been your most successful seed sowing this year?

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I always keep yoghurt pots to use as plant pots.  I'm not allowed to put them in my recycling bin so I'm recycling them myself.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,934

Lavender Lady, some good idea's given...

...and although you don't want to buy any pots... Garden superstore online sell pots 7cm square by 8cm deep - light weight 6p each and heavy weight 13p each. 15 fit in a seed tray, so 90p for 15 light weight or £1.95 for heavy weight. I'd recommend the heavy weight and Wilkco may sell them cheaper - worth a thought, as you'll still need to purchase yoghurts for their pots and you might need rather alot... there's only so many yoghurts a person can eatimage