Forum home The potting shed

need tlc after a horrible summer

Hi all, I have not been in the garden much this summer. My dad was taken poorly at the beginning of June and sadly passed away on the 22nd July. So it has been a lot of travelling to  Norfolk from Scotland. I have had not much enthusiasm for the garden this summer. However I have started to tidy the garden now ready for autumn, back to reading my garden mags and books and catching up with what you lot are doing. My dad was a big amateur gardener and I miss our chats. Mum is bearing up and is off to hunstanton today with a friend. So looking forward now to next year's garden planning.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I am so sorry to read about you father.

Gardening is a great healerimage

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,543

So sorry Mark xx

Im positive you will find some peace when you get cracking in your garden, you can still have those chats you know, your dad will always be there and in your heart watching you're doing it all right and as he taught you image

• xx Posts: 100

My condolences to you and your mum, Mark.

Artjak is right, gardening is a good healer. You say your dad was a keen amateur, why not set aside a patch for some of his favourites in next years planning.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Sorry to hear the sad news about your Dad Mark and I hope things get better for you and your family after an exhausting and upsetting time you have all had.  

Your Dad will always be there with you in the knowledge he passed on to you.image

• I think gardening is a good healer when life is difficult Mark, and I hope that spending time planning next years garden will help you in this difficult time.let us know of any plans x

• Thanks all. I'm going to get a brass plaque now dedicating the garden to my dad. He like all types of flowers and was always planting something new.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,201

Sorry to hear about your loss. All I can say is take time out for yourself, like Forester says, it is exhausting. I sometimes think the adrenaline can carry you a long way but you can find yourself running on empty after returning to normal.

Best wishes to you and your Mum.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

That is such a lovely idea Markimage

Keep us updated on your activities in the garden.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,434

Mark -  so sorry about your loss. Hard to deal with at this early stage. 

We have a thread for anyone who wants a bit of support when going through tough times so post on it whenever you need to. You know you'll get loads of  good wishes form members here x

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• What was your dads name Mark? You could find a plant with that name for the garden image