I have it in my driveway in Chattanooga TN. It seems to thrive wherever you combine limestone and roundup. It also occurs in heavy clay soil areas so I agree it is drainage and ph sensitive. I only observe it where glycophosphate (Roundup) has been applied.
Just a thought but if alkalinity could be the source of the problem, has anyone tried spraying ordinary vinegar or something similarly acidic? Maybe too simplistic, but a very interesting thread to read.
Hope you all find a solution, good luck
We have Blue Green Algae problems in the Lake in the park just up the road from me.. When it happens, notices are put up all around the lake.
The notices list the precautions amglers and walkers need to take to prevent spread.. Ie Disinfecting nets and shoes etc..
Asking the Parks management team might give you an effective solution to the problems many of you are having..
Hi Cathy . Your idea on acid idea could be worth a shot . My substrate is clay with lime rock and then blue metal... Thinking more on the acid idea , maybe a slow acting acid would be a good idea . I know my rhododendron fertilizer is of an acid PH . What is the compound that makes that acid ?
Cyanobacteria is a problem in aquaria. Has anyone tried using an aquarium or pond treatments?
I found this page it recommends granular sulphur for slow release to raise acidity :
Its at the bottom of the page, not sure??
My neighbor has a gravel only drive . and never uses roundup , NONE of this stuff on his drive to date . So round up and its generic derivatives is a common denominator here . . .
if it is a bacterium then the pool algacides would be of no use ?
or copper ,?
I'm in Ohio and have been fighting this stuff for years and had the same conclusion that Round Up plays a roll in this problem but definitely worse if applied to exposed clay soil. I did try vinegar on a small area and it did seem to inhibit the growth but was concerned with how it would effect the plants around so never used it on a larger scale ...I have just been picking it up and putting it in a bag in the garbage but it just expands to more and more areas. I'd love an easier SAFE solution , sounds like after reading through all this, that acidifying the soil and perhaps contacting ROUND-UP might help ? ?
We have the wretched stuff down here in Cornwall as well !!! Most pronounced after rain and spreading like crazy - also, appeared in strength not long after using Round-up !
It's on a stone chipping yard so not easy to clean up. Very unsightly and slippery.
Will advise if we come across anything that gets rid of it.