Slimy Fungus on gravel

191011121315»

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 630
    Moss killer for hard surfaces isn't iron... It's based on quat biocides. Iron stains stonework and shouldn't be used other than on lawns/borders.

I've not read the replies to this, but has anyone tried a solution of good old bleach? 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,696
    The most effective solution, discovered by Margaret Ibbs on p.4 of this thread, was to dissolve 1kg of washing soda in boiling water in a 10 litre watering can, top it up with cold and water it on to "expanded" nostoc, on a dry day, through a fine rose.  She used 3 cans on her 20' x 12' gravel, repeated once I think, and had no recurrence of the problem.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,696
    Correction.  It's on page 7, not page 4.

There's clearly a connection between the appearance of nostoc and the use of glyphosate.  It seems to thrive in poorly drained, alkaline conditions.

It's on the council footpath (broken tarmac) between my house and the town - presumably the council sprayed the weeds... hope I don't spread it onto our gravel drive...   :/

I'm with you, @Hazel-1 - congratulations to Margaret Ibbs!  We should have a Forum Award for the most useful idea on any thread.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore