Slimy Fungus on gravel

18910111214»

• thank you for this idea, will give it a try

• pamkeypamkey Posts: 1
    I have also found this on my gravel but only where it is shady. It’s exactky like the photo shown by Barberry. I thought it was seaweed bring dropped by seagulls that settle in a nearby field but it is always in a distinct line and not random. It doesn’t appear to be attached anywhere which is a puzzle how it grows. Did anyone discover what it is exactly?
  • This slim is called "Nostoc Commune"  - has anyone discovered how to exterminate it permanently.  I've used a couple of sprays without success.  I've used Bleach without success.  Copper Sulphate has been suggested but I haven't tried that yet.  Any ideas anyone ?
  • Thank you Margaret Ibbs! Last summer we used your recipe for our driveway and it worked! I made the mistake of using Round up again this year and the bacteria came right back. I am convinced that Round up is the culprit. Never again!
  • The herbicide “Scythe” will kill it in as little as one application.  Unfortunately, it is about $180 US dollars and only
    comes in 2.5 gallon containers.

Other herbicides (e.g. Bayer 2n1 moss and algae) can control it, or kill it eventually- but may take many applications.

Best way to kill Nostoc, quickly and somewhat cheaply, is with a weed torch attached to a propane tank.  These are the kind of torches which have about a 3ft long “wand” and a soda-can sized shroud at the end of them.  They are about $45-$65 (or more if you want a fancy one) US dollars.  They attach to a full size propane tank, like the kind you use with a grill.  They attach using the inside threads of the propane tank (not the outside threads like your grill does.). Wait for a day that the Nostoc
    is in it’s dry dormant stage and burn it up very thoroughly.  Torch it until it stops shriveling. Be sure to get it all.
    Remember to be safe: keep your garden hose or a bucket of water nearby in case something catches on fire that shouldn’t.

Best of luck.  I learned all this thru a lot of research and thru first hand experience.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 540
    In europe gas guns are usually attached to small bottles of butane - much easier to carry around. 

I’ve found that if you improve drainage in area inhabited it dies and doesn’t return. 
  • We have something similar in the US and those types of smaller weed torches are great if you only want to focus on a handful of weeds for 10-15 mins.  However, the larger weed torches I describe will cover a much larger area much much faster.  Granted they are annoying to lug around, they are quite loud and they are a bit more dangerous.  In fact, when i use mine, I have to strap the propane tank to a 2-wheel dolly and pull it behind me as I go.  It is also important to work backwards as you go so that you don’t step on what you just heated and melt the soles of your shoes.  Also, be careful to keep the hose line clear of the flame and keep it from dragging on the hot ground as well.