Is this a weed as it is spreading rapidly

I hope someone can advise our garden was totally cleared this year and replanted however we have this plant sprouting everywhere, it has a bulb type root and each time I have uprooted it comes back as strong

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

The saying is a weed is a plant growing in the wrong place-so if you don't want it it is a weed

You can try spraying using roundup or something similar but it need to be actively growing to work and might take a couple of goes to eradicate-so that may not be the answer till next year

• StillLearningStillLearning Posts: 180

Sorry Sotongeoff but I have a notificiation of a reply with no text in the box?

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,673

looks a bit like a varigated acanthus but not quite sure

Hi Garden Girl, the leaves are shaped like an Arum Lily and the bulb is very similar to a lily but it is very invasive and is  moving rapidly around the garden, I havent introduced it, it has appeared

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,228

Arum italicum, marbled leaves all winter, flowering spathes in summer and red berries later on. 

Many thanks Nutcutlet do you know if they can be contained as they appear to be re-producing rapidly, the garden was totally cleared this spring and these have appeared all over out of nowhere

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,087

I agree with nutcutlet, I keep digging it up too, red berries are poisonous and burn the mouth and throat, but not deadly.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Try spraying -had to alter my original replyimage

They dig up very easily and if you don't want them to seed take off the berries before they drop, or before the mice eat them cos that's probably spreading them further. On a 1-10 scale of invasive plants I wouldn't give it more than a 2. 

Probably not for a small garden, not worth the space but for a poor area under trees they're beautiful.