Forum home Fruit & veg

Plum tree - possible bacterial canker...

Bit of ID please..... one (and probably the other) of my fan trained Victoria plum trees has - I think - bacterial canker.... photo below:

Plus this is the one next to it....

The info I've read so far (if it is Bacterial canker) is to cut out the infected branches, but I can't do this until the Spring so tree will be left getting worse over the winter.  I'm tempted to take out the first plum - the most sick looking one where the disease is in the  main trunk - and try to save the second one in the Spring... any thoughts/views?  Am I diagnosing incorrectly?

Happy to post more photos if you need.

All thoughts and ideas well received.

• I wouldn't be sure about that diagnosis, there doesn't seem to be anything oozing from the bark. I'd say it's just bark splitting, but someone else might tell you different.

• Thanks for your comment Dave.... I'm not 100% sure, however my OH has just pointed out this nasty oozing stuff at the back of the split.....  I have just had to hold him back with the saw!

• Again I'd doubt that's canker. It looks like oozing sap which is common with plum trees.

• Hi Buddyboy... this is photo of the whole tree... see red box which shows area of photo.  The leaves started dropping before all the fruit had finished.

Would be interesting to know your view - if we can save it that would be good, but we are resigned to fact that it may be better to take it out and aim to save the healthier plum and greengage trees which sit either side of it.

• Yes - 3rd photo is the backside of area of 1st photo.  As I understand I shouldn't prune til spring. So my other option is to leave until then, perhaps try treating with something like Bordeaux mixture, and then chop out most of right hand side. There is more oozing, same colour, on other parts of this tree. 

It's useful to have a discussion and views - I suspect there is no one single answer/solution. 

• Hi Buddyboy... this is photo of the whole tree... see red box which shows area of photo.  The leaves started dropping before all the fruit had finished.

Would be interesting to know your view - if we can save it that would be good, but we are resigned to fact that it may be better to take it out and aim to save the healthier plum and greengage trees which sit either side of it.

• Link to RHS very useful - thanks Buddyboy - think the tree will remain over the winter after some 'nursing'.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

I had an apricot which had a similar cracking, and weeping. One half of the tree died, and we cut it out. The rest looked sick for a long time. We eventually cut the lot down this year after a lot of prevaricating. I suspect yours will never be right. I would take it out now.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Yes - 3rd photo is the backside of area of 1st photo.  As I understand I shouldn't prune til spring. So my other option is to leave until then, perhaps try treating with something like Bordeaux mixture, and then chop out most of right hand side. There is more oozing, same colour, on other parts of this tree. 

It's useful to have a discussion and views - I suspect there is no one single answer/solution. 

• Am wavering on this one fidgetbones - there's always a feeling of wanting to save something. I suspect that I'm going to have same experience as you..... image