Tomato

My tomatoes are healthy but just keep producing lots of leaf but not much fruit. What am I doing wrong

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Overfeeding them.  Plants make fruit if the 'think' there is a likelyhood of their dying.  If you keep feeding it, the plant will keep on growing without fruiting.  Tomato plants can keep on growing and growing.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

Exactly. Nitrogen-rich fertiliser, in particular, will give you tons of leaves and not much else. Stop feeding altogether and see what happens.

• Bf206Bf206 Posts: 235

In the past, I've definitely found that feeding them too early does this.

• bobnmalbobnmal Posts: 3

It's to late now,but you shouldn't feed tomatoes until the second truss has set and are pea size.Feed once a week.When third truss has set feed twice a week,and so on. I use Tomorite. Works for me.

Bobnmal

Bobnmal, you might find you'll get more toms with less fertiliser. Toms aren't naturally big feeders, in fact they tend to produce more if they're left to struggle that little bit. They will feel the need to reproduce - ie, produce fruit. Overfeeding can also leave plants vulnerable to disease.

• All of the above, and did you remember to pinch them out?  Unless thay are described on the packet as a bush variety, once they start setting flowers you need to pinch out all the side-shoot growth to encourage the plants to put their energy into the fruits rather than the branches.  You have the main stem, and then the main branches which carry the flowers and fruits.  In the junctions between the two, you get side growths.  I think of them as tomato-plant upwards-growing armpit-hair. image  Check for them every week at least.  Nip them out with your thumb nail and your plants will be stronger, leaner and fitter.

Or you can leave one to develop, snip it off with sharp secateurs or scissors, poke it into a small pot of damp potting mix, keep it in warm shade as you would any cutting, and you'll have a brand new plant without the hassle of starting seed and waiting. It's how I generate my autumn crops.

• Everyone i know has had problems with their tomatoes. Mine are hopeless in the garden and allotment but in the greenhouse they are brilliant. Have grown brandy wine and a huge italian one cant remember the name. We weighed one the other day and it was 1lb in weight. Think we will end up looking like them we have eaten so many.

A huge Italian tom? What shape? Oxheart? Beefsteak?

• Bf206Bf206 Posts: 235

Right, I'd appreciate some help with a few further tomato issues I'm having!

First of all, one of the Sungold plants is half the height of the others and the stem is going a rather nasty shade of brown. Stem rot?

The plant itself does have fruit, not that much though. Should I give up on it? I wondered whether repotting it and burying some of the healthy stem to give out more roots would help? Pic of whole plant below.

Then, on a completely different note, am growing Black Russians for the first time which I'm quite excited about. Generally, they're doing okay I think. But one plant (below) has got some fruit which are looking very nice (e.g. on the right) but some which are all misshapen at the base. It doesn't look like bottom end rot, nor does it quite look like they've split from inconsistent watering. Maybe they fill out?!