Forum home Fruit & veg

Follow on the beans

I have had runner and dwarf French beans in one of my veg beds (12' x 4') and we have had a bumper crop of both. The french beans are now past it and the runners are coming to the end. Can anyone recommend a crop to follow on? I'm going to cut the foliage off but dig the roots in for nitrogen improvement but am puzzling over what to plant for the winter. We already have beds of purple sprouting broccoli and Tuscan kale and leeks.

Any suggestions welcome

Steve

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

Spring cabbage.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,276

They do say that leaving the roots in is just waste

of time and makes no difference. No nitrogen left in there.

Spring cabbage, broad beans strawberry plants.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,158

If you follow a crop rotation plan there isn't alot you can follow beans with at this time of year and it depends if you have a 3 or 4 year rotation plan. You sound like you already have what can follow beans already in the ground.

Why not give the soil a rest, cover it with cardboard and a good layer of muck ready for next years planting in the spring.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

Broad beans https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=617  Aquadulce Claudia is a good variety for autumn sowing image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I've never had much joy with Autumn sown broad beans, might give spring cabbage a go tho image

Steve